First oil change on Hyundai Sonata 2.5L SmartStream

Performed the first oil change on my '22 Sonata with the NA 2.5L at 1,500 miles. I used Kirkland 5W20 oil and a KIA filter. Coming from a 2018 sonata there are a few differences, first, the under carriage panels are a little better, but still not great for removing. Also, this model has a cannister filter with a built in drain and a cable dipstick. Interestingly, when refilled with the specified quantity of oil, the dipstick reads right between L and F.

I plan to do the next oil change at 4K, then replace every 4K thereafter using Kirkland and factory filter.

How does this engine run power-wise compared to the 2.4L in your 2018? Smooth band? Torquey? Lame?
I absolutely love the drivetrain in this car. The 2.5L is much smother and seems to have more power and torque at lower RPMs. The 8 speed AT is also fantastic in this car, in normal driving, the AT is shifting around 2500 RPMs and cruised at 80 MPH at around 1800 RPMs.

Performed the first oil change on my '22 Sonata with the NA 2.5L at 1,500 miles. I used Kirkland 5W20 oil and a KIA filter. Coming from a 2018 sonata there are a few differences, first, the under carriage panels are a little better, but still not great for removing. Also, this model has a cannister filter with a built in drain and a cable dipstick. Interestingly, when refilled with the specified quantity of oil, the dipstick reads right between L and F.

I plan to do the next oil change at 4K, then replace every 4K thereafter using Kirkland and factory filter.
I thought the spec was 0w-20?
Might want to check that.
Hyundai can be very picky with weight on warranty issues.

What does the owners manual say regarding drain/refill oil volume? I ask because Hyundai changed the oil capacity for the 1.6T starting with the ‘21MY Sonata. Hyundai historically has changed oil capacity for many engines throughout the years.

What does the owners manual say regarding drain/refill oil volume? I ask because Hyundai changed the oil capacity for the 1.6T starting with the ‘21MY Sonata. Hyundai historically has changed oil capacity for many engines throughout the years.
5.6 qts. I used one full 5 qt jug, then measured out 19 oz.

Interesting, Hyundai must have changed the oil capacity for the ‘22MY 2.5. The ‘20-‘21 2.5 sonata is 5.49 quarts.

Interesting, Hyundai must have changed the oil capacity for the ‘22MY 2.5. The ‘20-‘21 2.5 sonata is 5.49 quarts.
Funny, I had googled the capacity, but just double checked the OM, 22 capacity is actually listed as 6.13 qts. Topped it off with another 17 oz. of oil.

I absolutely love the drivetrain in this car. The 2.5L is much smother and seems to have more power and torque at lower RPMs.
How confident are you in this engine's longevity given well publicized major defects of Hyundai Theta II engines that included rod bearing failures, knocking, seizing, crankshaft wear/pitting, carbon buildup in on valves due too poor DI design, etc?

I rented a Sonata several times and liked it a lot. Considered buying one... but then I lost all confidence in Hyundai's ability to produce a quality engine after watching a dozen videos documenting these unforgivable defects. A true horror show.

How does this engine run power-wise compared to the 2.4L in your 2018? Smooth band? Torquey? Lame?
Wife just purchased the 22 Tucson Limited with the n/a 2.5 with 8 speed transmission. We are driving it gently at only 500 miles. I think it is very smooth, quiet, and would call it a "good torque" engine with good "roll on".

How confident are you in this engine's longevity given well publicized major defects of Hyundai Theta II engines that included rod bearing failures, knocking, seizing, crankshaft wear/pitting, carbon buildup in on valves due too poor DI design, etc?

I rented a Sonata several times and liked it a lot. Considered buying one... but then I lost all confidence in Hyundai's ability to produce a quality engine after watching a dozen videos documenting these unforgivable defects. A true horror show.
I'm on the other end of the spectrum. The engine in my son's 2012 Sonata Limited (2 ltr turbo) seized at approx. 107,000 miles. Hyundai gave him a new engine no charge. If the company stands behind their product, I am very comfortable buying their product.

It's not just hyundai.
Google honda 3.5 v6 vcm issues.
On the odyssey forum I belong to every week 2-3 new people are coming in to Express their frustration about the very expensive honda engine crapping out and needing new rings.
Honda does nothing for them.
At least hyundai is doing the right thing.
On our santa fe forum, I have seen 2 posts over trashed engines over 4 years.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. The engine in my son's 2012 Sonata Limited (2 ltr turbo) seized at approx. 107,000 miles. Hyundai gave him a new engine no charge. If the company stands behind their product, I am very comfortable buying their product.
It's not just hyundai.
Google honda 3.5 v6 vcm issues.
On the odyssey forum I belong to every week 2-3 new people are coming in to Express their frustration about the very expensive honda engine crapping out and needing new rings.
Honda does nothing for them.
At least hyundai is doing the right thing.
On our santa fe forum, I have seen 2 posts over trashed engines over 4 years.
Folks, let’s not forget that Hyundai had a massive class action lawsuit brought against them a few years ago, and was finalized in 2021. HYUNDAI started becoming very lenient years ago with replacing Theta II engines after the warranty. Mind you that Hyundai already extended the engine warranty up to 120,000 miles for many model year Theta II’s. Hyundai isn’t and wasn’t replacing these engines out of the goodness of their heart. They were already in deep legal trouble that started around 2016 and they knew they would eventually have to come up with a solution. They did everything they possibly could to cover it up, but they got caught and now they have to pay the consequences. If there wasn’t a class action lawsuit, Hyundai wouldn’t be doing jack squat for people with defective engines.
I’ll drop this link for you to check out.

And regarding the Honda engine issue. Yes, it sucks having a vehicle that is prone to known mechanical failure. It would be nice for Honda to do something about it honestly. But the Honda engine problems are different than the Hyundai engine problems. Are Hondas catching on fire sporadically at a higher rate. Hyundais are, and that is the difference. When an engine fails it sucks don’t get me wrong, if it’s a widespread engine defect then the manufacturer should want to replace the engines to help build customer brand perception. When the Hyundai engines fail it becomes a matter of life or death. They have a tendency to shoot a rod through the block and hot oil gets on the exhaust components and starts a fire. They also catch fire for a multitude of other issues. So, while I’m sorry that people with Hondas are experiencing engine failure, it doesn’t pose a safety risk the way Hyundai engine failures do.

I am confident in this new engine design over the Theta II, this engine the Theta III has combination GDI/MPI, and I believe Hyundai has learned from the previous generation of engines. Many of the previous issues were a result of poor dino oil, long OCI intervals and the resulting carbon buildup.

Wife just purchased the 22 Tucson Limited with the n/a 2.5 with 8 speed transmission. We are driving it gently at only 500 miles. I think it is very smooth, quiet, and would call it a "good torque" engine with good "roll on".
We were trying to look at the Tucson for my wife, couldn't find one to even test drive in our area, so went with a 22 RAV4, instead.

Funny, I had googled the capacity, but just double checked the OM, 22 capacity is actually listed as 6.13 qts. Topped it off with another 17 oz. of oil.
It’s interesting how Hyundai changes oil capacity so frequently. But it’s good you now know the correct capacity!

Back