First oil change on Duramax. 15w40 or 5w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To get a GMC or Chevy 5500 you will have to go to a HD dealer. Here we have several dealers that are "truck" dealers, so buying the truck and the parts is no big deal.

You will get a T1000 Allison with the Duramax, there isn't an option there (unless you go manual). The Duramax is proving to be a good engine. We have put together about 25 GMC 5500 so far and very few problems have come up. I think the B Model Cummins is a better engine but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 5500 with the Duramax. My only concern is I am locked into buying parts from one source, a HD Chevy dealer. The Internationals, Cummins, CATs, etc. I can get parts for at any truck parts supply house anywhere in the country. However, it's really just the principle that I don't like. I don't have much experience with the current MD engine offerings from Mercedes, but what I have seen and worked on, they seem like they are a nice package that delivers good power and reliability. The down there again is parts availability. Almost no place stocks parts for those Mercedes engines, so you probably have a down truck for a week.

There are quite a few things to consider, however all three of those engines are quite good and will provide good service as long as they are taken care of. Although it is expensive, I would recommend having the trans serviced immediately upon delivery with TranSynd so you get the upgraded warranty which I believe is still 5 years unlimited mileage.

There's no problem running synthetic at this point. Many engines, including some very expensive ones, use synthetic right from the factory.
For your winters, you need a 5W-40 or, better yet, a 0W-40. Esso makes the only 0W-40 I've seen. You can get it at Wal-Mart or at bulk distributors. Some good choices that I'm familiar with for a 5W-40 diesel engine oil are Petro Canada, Delvac1, and Chevron.
You can save your money and run a good 15W-40 in the summer though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back