First oil change on 2014 Charger 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably going to change out the FF at around 3K if not a little sooner.

1st Chrysler product (other than a 75 Valiant which seems like a million years ago) I see for warranty purposes they ask you to use a oil that meets the Chrysler Specs

I understand the FF is 5W20 PYB. I'm thinking of either sticking with that or PP or PU. I see that Royal Purple also carries the Chrysler spec as well.

Out of the 4, suggestions? Weather is turning colder here finally. Plan on putting a Fumoto drain valve too. Really liked how it worked on my Crosstrek.

Congrads on new car. Go PP / PU when the time arrives. Chrysler uses 0w40 in the Viper; I wonder why. Also heard BMW is now on the Sopus kick for FF.

I would go Pennzoil Ultra Platinum since Chrysler SRT seems to use that as factory fill. Only problem is finding Ultra Platinum in stores. I couldn't find it anywhere in the L.A. area, so I just went with Mobil 1 which is just as good and has been around for 40+ years now.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
I would go Pennzoil Ultra Platinum since Chrysler SRT seems to use that as factory fill. Only problem is finding Ultra Platinum in stores. I couldn't find it anywhere in the L.A. area, so I just went with Mobil 1 which is just as good and has been around for 40+ years now.

The only problem is Mobil 1 doesn't meet the Chrysler spec. I'm certain the product would be just fine, but if there was an oil related warranty issue using Mobil 1 might give Chrysler an out. I'm just bringing out a point, that's all.

From Mobil's website:

Question:
Mobil 1 5W-20 and Chrysler MS-6395
Why is your Mobil 1 5W-20 not Chrysler MS-6395 spec approved? Or if it is, why is the certification not on the bottle or website?
-- Josh Eads, Cabot, AR

Answer:
Chrysler’s latest revision to the MS-6395 specification calls for a field trial spanning multiple seasons over two years. While we fully expect the exceptional performance of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to meet Chrysler’s specification requirements, at this time we are in the process of evaluating our timeline to start this testing.

-----------------

What I find odd is this has been going on a lot longer than two years. There must be some really bad blood between the two companies. I certain the product is more than up to par, but..........JMO

Nice car drive it in good health!

I'd use PP and just use the OLM for intervals. As cold as it gets in NH, a synthetic can't hurt. If you're going to OCI it every 3 or 5k, I'd stick w PYB. Dumping PP at 5k is a waste.

"Synthetic Engine Oils

You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed."

Statement is taken from the owners manual. If the oil change indicator system extends oci past your comfort factor, don't use it(mine is 5500 miles).

Last edited:
3.6 is a very current engine with a lot of tech in it, I would strongly consider using only warranty approved oils until you get some miles on it.

Just in case...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
GM4LIFE said:
]

The only problem is Mobil 1 doesn't meet the Chrysler spec. I'm certain the product would be just fine, but if there was an oil related warranty issue using Mobil 1 might give Chrysler an out. I'm just bringing out a point, that's all.

From Mobil's website:

Question:
Mobil 1 5W-20 and Chrysler MS-6395
Why is your Mobil 1 5W-20 not Chrysler MS-6395 spec approved? Or if it is, why is the certification not on the bottle or website?
-- Josh Eads, Cabot, AR

Answer:
Chrysler’s latest revision to the MS-6395 specification calls for a field trial spanning multiple seasons over two years. While we fully expect the exceptional performance of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to meet Chrysler’s specification requirements, at this time we are in the process of evaluating our timeline to start this testing.

-----------------

What I find odd is this has been going on a lot longer than two years. There must be some really bad blood between the two companies. I certain the product is more than up to par, but..........JMO

Nice car drive it in good health!

Odd that Mobil 1 5W-20 doesn't meet the Chrysler MS-6395 spec yet the obscure Havoline Synthetic 5W-20 meets that spec, it's on their label. For a while Advance Auto was running specials and I was able to get 5 quarts and a Drive Works filter for $19.95. I would return the filter for credit, net cost of the 5 quarts was about $16.00
grin.gif
. Unfortunately Advance Auto is now charging ~$24-25 for that. Not worth it with their other synthetic oil specials coming in at or near that price with rebates and better filters.

Whimsey

PYB and follow the OLM. The engine will outlast the rest of the car.

I just bought a new Ford Fusion. I intend to use the OLM and PYB and Fram Ultra. Oil changes will probably be every 10,000 miles. And I won't lose one minute of sleep doing this.

Originally Posted By: C4Dave
PYB and follow the OLM. The engine will outlast the rest of the car.

I just bought a new Ford Fusion. I intend to use the OLM and PYB and Fram Ultra. Oil changes will probably be every 10,000 miles. And I won't lose one minute of sleep doing this.

10K miles on a non-synthetic oil? Wow, you really do have lots of confidence in that Fram Ultra filter!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Congrads on new car. Go PP / PU when the time arrives. Chrysler uses 0w40 in the Viper; I wonder why. Also heard BMW is now on the Sopus kick for FF.

Well the ow40 used in a Viper v10 is a lot different than the 5w20 used in the Pentastar v6 and you wonder why as if it's a similar motor or application?

10K miles on a non-synthetic oil? Wow, you really do have lots of confidence in that Fram Ultra filter!

In my experience, the 3.6 is very easy on the oil with its variable displacement oil pump. My OLM doesn't come on until 10k miles (the max in the ecu settings) in my 3.6 Wrangler. I'm using Pennzoil 5w20 conventional and a Mopar filter with no issues.

Originally Posted By: jayg

In my experience, the 3.6 is very easy on the oil with its variable displacement oil pump. My OLM doesn't come on until 10k miles (the max in the ecu settings) in my 3.6 Wrangler. I'm using Pennzoil 5w20 conventional and a Mopar filter with no issues.

C4Dave said he just got a Ford Fusion and intended on using the PYB and Fram Ultra. I don't think Ford engines can go 10K miles on conventional PYB oil no matter what filter is being used. For 10K intervals, safest bet is a quality synthetic.

Last edited:
Well on the OP's vehicle, conventional oil and factory filter can do 10k under most conditions easily.

On that Fusion, under most daily commuting situations, that combo is probably ok as well.

Dino oil has come a long way.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Well on the OP's vehicle, conventional oil and factory filter can do 10k under most conditions easily.

On that Fusion, under most daily commuting situations, that combo is probably ok as well.

Dino oil has come a long way.

Don't know I would trust any dino oil for that long. I just can't see it going to distance. Maybe I AM getting old!

Thanks for the replies. Most of the miles put on the 3.6 will be highway miles. I do 100 miles a day r/t with 98% of that truly on the highway.

Sounds like can't go wrong with PYB or PP and both are readily available.

I still may sneak a RP change in there...I have a 15 dollar coupon from Pep Boys to use. I ran it for a change in my Crosstrek with no ill effects

I would do the PYB. If Chrysler uses it as the factory fill, I imagine it's more than sufficient for the engine under all driving conditions. Dino oil is better than a lot of people give it credit for in my opinion. Of course, I'd really run QSGB.
laugh.gif

PYB 10w30 or QSGB 5w20....Maybe MC semisyn 5w20 but your engine would probably try and spit that Ford stuff out
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I would strongly consider using only warranty approved oils until you get some miles on it.

^^^this

The Pentastar holds about 6.5 quarts of oil, in my van anyway. With that amount of oil, in a 5w20, with the right specs/certs, it will go 10k miles no problem, which is about what the OLM is reporting.

I'm running VWB with Purolator classic cartridge filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back