First oil change on 2006 A3 . . . GC, BC or M1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
well not really my first oil change . . . . i drained the oil at 1k and refilled with GC.

Anyways, I get free maintenance with this car but have to drive 1hr to the surrounding dealers to get it done.

Option #1
Drive to Syr and get BC 5w40 free

Option #2
Drive to Binghamton and get M1 0w40 free

Option #2
Drive to either and bring my own GC.

I'll be keeping the oil in for 5k and will be experiencing negative temps during this winter. Which would you prefer?

Dave

My vote would be for either of the first two, depending upon your preferences. GC is good stuff, but let's face it, the value it adds would not be worth actually paying for it when you can get either of the other for free.

Given winter temps in upstate NY... I'd take the M1 0W-40.

But the shopping is probably better in Syracuse. If you travels took you to Syracuse then it would make more sense to use the BC 5W-40.

There can't be that much difference between the oils to worry about it.

quote:

Originally posted by Thatwouldbegreat:
Given winter temps in upstate NY... I'd take the M1 0W-40.

But the shopping is probably better in Syracuse. If you travels took you to Syracuse then it would make more sense to use the BC 5W-40.

There can't be that much difference between the oils to worry about it.

Yep
smile.gif

Ironically I have a dealer 3 miles from my house but they're the most incompetent people evar.

I also know that they don't use synth when audi/vw dictates it.

Dave

quote:

Originally posted by AndyH:
How about option 4...use the GC and change the oil yourself at home?

The filter costs $15 and there are a few small things that need attending to by the dealer.

Dave

quote:

Originally posted by crew219:

quote:

Originally posted by AndyH:
How about option 4...use the GC and change the oil yourself at home?

The filter costs $15 and there are a few small things that need attending to by the dealer.

Gotcha, although you may be able to source the OEM filter cheaper online from one of the Audi parts vendors.

I always like carrying at least one spare oil filter. Then I can always do an oil change.

I'm always amazed how poorly stocked many parts places are.

If I go to stock up on oil and air filters, I'll never find more than half of the brands and model filters I need for my various family vehicles.

Does Audi force you to go the full recommended OCI before they will change the oil? I had a friend who bought a new A6 back in the 90s that had the "free" maintenance for 50,000 miles. They would only change the oil every 7500 miles even though she explained that all (and I mean ALL) her driving was very short trips where the engine never got warmed up. So she got the oil changed every 3000 miles by taking it to her local mechanic in between trips to the Audi dealer.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
Does Audi force you to go the full recommended OCI before they will change the oil? I had a friend who bought a new A6 back in the 90s that had the "free" maintenance for 50,000 miles. They would only change the oil every 7500 miles even though she explained that all (and I mean ALL) her driving was very short trips where the engine never got warmed up. So she got the oil changed every 3000 miles by taking it to her local mechanic in between trips to the Audi dealer.

They don't force you persay . . . . but they will only cover the 5, 15, 25, 35, 45k changes for free. I'll change at 10, 20, 30, 40 myself and do 5k changes with some high quality 502 synth + LC.

Still haven't quite determined if an oil filter change is needed every 5k or if I could extend it to every 10k.

Dave

I'd go with Option 2; the M1 0w40. Change the oil every 5K and the filter every 10K. No problem goinwg 10K with the Mann long-life filter as long as you don't switch oils. Persoally, I'd skip the LC as it's not needed since there's nothing wrong with the oil straight out of the bottle.

Here's my $.02:

I'd go with option #2, with changes done by you at 10, 20, 30 & 40k. I'd also run the OEM oil filter for the full 10k miles.

The 2006 US import models do not require VW 504 oil? I'd also go with the free M1 0W-40 in this case.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
The 2006 US import models do not require VW 504 oil? I'd also go with the free M1 0W-40 in this case.

Nope . . . we have diff catalysts due to the stratified-cycle delete.

Dave

Get the free mobil 1; drive your spiffy new car down to Cazenovia lake; take 20 east to 12b toward Hamilton; stop at the Pizza Pub and have some really great wings and taters with the money you just saved. I live in Illinois now and I still dream about those wings. Have fun.

quote:

Originally posted by z917990:
Get the free mobil 1; drive your spiffy new car down to Cazenovia lake; take 20 east to 12b toward Hamilton; stop at the Pizza Pub and have some really great wings and taters with the money you just saved. I live in Illinois now and I still dream about those wings. Have fun.

Sounds like a possible Colgate grad... like my daughter. Versus the crew219-man who's possibly at Cornell.

quote:

Originally posted by Thatwouldbegreat:

quote:

Originally posted by z917990:

Sounds like a possible Colgate grad... like my daughter. Versus the crew219-man who's possibly at Cornell.

indeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back