First oil change in the New Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
I did not go with 5W-30. I run 10W-30 in all my LS powered cars.

It rarely gets below 40 here and I may see over 100 if I go over the Mountains.

I put 6 quarts of Mobil 1 10W-30 with a Mobil 1 filter on the truck.

I am fairly certain I will drive this more than the old truck so I thinking 5000 mile oil changes.

Funny the M1 5W-30 is Dexos, but the 10W-30 is not. They have almost identical specs.

I am not worried but wanted your thoughts on the 10W-30.

Last edited:
The 5w30 is like a full point higher cSt and has slightly higher hths way better v index, I prefer 5w30 all the way around.

Originally Posted by burla
The 5w30 is like a full point higher cSt and has slightly higher hths way better v index, I prefer 5w30 all the way around.

X2

Times 3.... I would prefer M1 5W-30 in the 6.0L engine.

Currently, I'm running QSUD 5W-30 in my old Silverado with a 5.3L Gen III L59 engine. I like QSUD's mid-11 cSt @ 100-deg Celsius. Without a doubt, it's one of the thicker 5W-30 oils. Though, I don't know its HTHS. I wish that I did.

Nevertheless, M1 10W-30 should run well in that beast of truck. The GM 6.0L truck engine is a good reliable workhorse.
smile.gif

You live in Seattle area right ???

It can get below 30 there are times... This past winter it was snowing all the way into town.... At lowest elevations.

Anyhow.. you are totally right... 10w or 15w is just fine and dandy.

I watch NWS weather across the nation... And it is amazing the difference in elevation out there can make in terms of temp and precip that falls... Sometimes only a 300-500 foot difference in elevation height can make a huge difference in what happens.

Last edited:
Dexos qualifies 5w30 as energy conserving compared to 10w30. It's only thicker during cold starts when engines run rich anyway. No energy is saved in that situation lol.

Originally Posted by Loobit
Dexos qualifies 5w30 as energy conserving compared to 10w30. It's only thicker during cold starts when engines run rich anyway. No energy is saved in that situation lol.

There is that!

Originally Posted by bbhero

It can get below 30 there are times... This past winter it was snowing all the way into town.... At lowest elevations.

I watch NWS weather across the nation... And it is amazing the difference in elevation out there can make in terms of temp and precip that falls... Sometimes only a 300-500 foot difference in elevation height can make a huge difference in what happens.

That 300 to 500-foot elevation change makes all the difference in the world in the greater Seattle area. It could be difference between very little snow to 2-feet falling! I know... been there and done that in Seattle's Carnation-Duvall area.

Originally Posted by SteveG4
Originally Posted by bbhero

That 300 to 500-foot elevation change makes all the difference in the world in the greater Seattle area. It could be difference between very little snow to 2-feet falling! I know... been there and done that in Seattle's Carnation-Duvall area.

Yep that is spot on.

Yeah... It is really quite amazing be to me...

Very steep lapse rates due to very cold upper level cold air pockets aloft lead to that circumstance.

Anytime one sees lots of speckled cumulus clouds over the Pacific ocean moving into that area... Knows very cold air is moving in from the ocean. And that the change with temps with hardly any change in elevation can be big.

This phenomen happens in the northeast of our country has well...

Last edited:
I live on the Kitsap peninsula. Weather is weird. We had maybe 10 days below 40 last year at my place, 10 miles away was getting feet of snow.
I am pretty close to sea level at my place.

The Malibu use 5W-30. Is just easy to leave everything else on a diet of 10W-30.

Absolutely... 10w is obviously a no issue at all circumstance with those temps.

I am always fascinated to see a snow potential forecast for that area near sea level in and near Seattle.

Rather strange to see at times... And it is amazing how much snow falls in the Olympic Mts... Hurricane ridge and Mt Olympus.. .

And Snoqualmie pass is not passable at times due to extreme heavy snow events... And it's only 3,000 ft plus of elevation. Not like 7k feet say like going over Donner pass on interstate 80.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
10w-30=perfect for towing.

Not M1 10w30. It may look to be the Inferior product to M1 5w30.- though they are only showing HTHS to one significant digit " 3 " in the PDS and the low VI of 146 ( below most 5w20) indicates less VM and thus a likely higher HTHS than the 5w.

Now with M1 10W30 High Mileage - you get A3/B3 and HTHS above 3.5. No Guessing.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by spasm3
10w-30=perfect for towing.

Not M1 10w30. It may look to be the Inferior product to M1 5w30.- though they are only showing HTHS to one significant digit " 3 " in the PDS and the low VI of 146 ( below most 5w20) indicates less VM and thus a likely higher HTHS than the 5w.

Now with M1 10W30 High Mileage - you get A3/B3 and HTHS above 3.5. No Guessing.

I'll take Mobil at their slick sheets' "data." The 5W appears better.

That HM stuff is stout though!

Last edited:
Either way I can't remember if I have ever heard of an LS based engine that had an oil related failure unless the oil pump O-ring went bad.

I had a 2005 C2500 with the 6.0 that was in landscaping fleet service for a bit over 100k miles that had low oil pressure. Low enough to set off the warning system, in addition to low on the gauge. No idea how well it was maintained.
Verified gauge was correct. Changed out oil and filter with no impact on the problem, then dropped the pan and changed out the oil pump and O-ring for still no change. Ran out of time and motivation for further checks, so sold it with the known problem.

Last I heard it was still running.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by burla

X2

For once both of you make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back