First oil change in Ford Duratec

Status
Not open for further replies.
offtopic.gif

Ray H. wrote:

>

This is way off-topic, but I used to work for those cheap buggers. They refused to buy vans with air-conditioning even in the Deep South, and we all roasted like souls in **** every summer. Other cost-cutting moves didn't help. Then Federal Express came along and wiped them off the map.

As far as I know, Purolator Courier was long ago absorbed by DHL.

-- Paul

MoCraft oil and filter combo is the best way to go IMO in a new Ford product.

I have used MoCraft 5-20 and FL820S filter since the begining in a '01 GMarq 4.6 for 4-5k miles OCI's. Has 32k miles on the odo now.

MoCraft oil has had excellent UOA's here, and a Ford forum site I belong to rave over MoCraft filters.

Keep your receipts for warranty purposes and write milage on the receipt. Keep them in a ZipLoc bag in the glove box. Good for resale purposes too.

No reason not to use MoCraft, unless you want extended drain intervals (8-10k mile OCI's).

quote:

There will be no issue if you switch brands. They are made to be compatible.

I dissagree. It is better to stick with the same brand. They are not made to be "compatible" They use different additives to meet specs. There is a benefit to sticking with one brand.

I've always stuck with one brand from the initial oil change forward.....The cost of a vehicle, engine, etc., is so expensive today, I don't want to do anything that might jeopardize the engine's integrity. I think Pennz 5w20 is a good oil but price fluctations between Quaker, Havol. and Exxon oil at times does make one wonder..........

I have a Ford Freestyle too and I'm using MC 5w-20 motor oil and the Motorcraft FL820S oil filter. The problem in my case is that the Oil Life indicator is going off too soon after two oil changes.That didn't matter too much to me because I wanted the first two oil changes done between 1000-1500miles.
Currently the car has been driven 1180 miles and the indicator reads 52%. The last oil change was reset to 100% by the dealer as a free service. How can I recalibrate this for longer OCIs to go at least 5000miles or does it need to be re-programmed by the dealer.BTW this is my wife's car and mostly driven for short trips about 10 miles and occassionally on 50 mile trips.So does severe service have any bearing on the oil life? Other than this it's a smooth ride.

I have a ford freestyle also.
The ford oil life meter goes by time and mileage. Each day it sits,driven or not a % comes off the meter. I don't care for this method. I asked my ford dealer about it and they did not have a fix.
When we bought our car it had 11 miles on it and the meter read 34%. So it must have been sitting for a while. My wife loves the car and I have to say it is fine automobile.

Thanks for the feedback LC.
Your experience re this auto is pretty well consistent with mine.Ours was built in April,05 and we bought it in June with only about 15 miles on the odo.The indicator zeroed out around 950 miles before the first oil change around Sept. Ford sure dumbed out on this compared to GM's much more sophisticated Oil Life Monitor.
Wasn't sure about the time factor affecting the drawdown. I'll have to talk to my Ford service advisor about this when I bring the vehicle in for the Ford recall on the sub-standard gas tank straps. Why even bother to include a mickey mouse oil indicator to ruin things?
banghead.gif

Beancounters!
twak.gif

There is very little old oil left in the engine after changing the oil. Certainly not enough to cause any sort of wierd chemical reactions. Most oil manufacturers use the same general additives, though perhaps in differing quantities. Remember folks, we are talking about a metal engine, not a pet...

Finally, Ok, I've got that first oil change done and have now put about 2,200 miles on the odometer since that change. Realistically, using Pennz 5w20, Motorcraft Fl820 filter, almost all driving in at least 20 mile trips, and driving in an area with little dust, how many miles should I put between oil changes? In a very dusty climate, blowing sand, etc, I tried to change every 2,500 miles. I live in a much cleaner environment now. What say the BITgoers?

Leonardi,

Stay with the 5W20 viscosity if that's what Ford recommends. Also stay with the Motorcraft filter for warranty purposes. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back