First oil change for 2004 Acura RSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend had a telephone conversation with a Honda Canada technical representative recently concerning his 2004 Acura RSX Premium (not a Type-S) because we both questioned the Acura RSX Owner's Manual instruction regarding engine break-in: the OE engine oil is not to be changed until 8,000 kms (5,000 miles).

I certainly felt the first change should come at around 1,000 km or certainly before 2,500 km (about 1,500 miles). However, the Honda Canada guy stated that because of the metals, coatings and tolerances achieved in the manufacture of 'today's' I-VTEC engines, early oil changes are not required. He said the oil installed by the factory is a special break-in oil which will help break-in specific engine parts. Because the engine parts in the break-in stage are in the process of wearing-in/seating-in, the installed break-in mineral oil with special additives (whatever those are) is considered by Honda to be advantageous for this purpose. Furthermore, changing the oil after 1,000 kms and substituting with synthetic oil could have a detrimental effect. "Use of a fully synthetic oil early in the engine's life could result in 'blow by' of oil on the cylinder walls past the rings," he said.

What do you think about these statements? What's so special about the Honda factory initial oil fill that would make one want to keep it in so long, against the usual logic? And what about not going to synthetic at an early mileage in this engine? What's different about this engine compared to Mercedes and others that fill with synthetic at the factory?

[ April 30, 2004, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Shifter ]

Hondas do not need an early oil change. My wife Odyssey manual clearly states not to change the oil too soon but it does say 6 months or 7,500 miles which ever comes first. I believe that 6 months or the 8k km/5k miles is okay. I think the Odyssey will hit the time limit before the distance.

As for using synthetics early, I agreed with the Honda at least for 10k km/6k miles. I know it will not hurt. Just use the Pennzoil Castrol Motorcraft 5w-20 for a couple of OCIs.

I remember a thread over 6 months ago talking about this topic. Try the search.

[ April 30, 2004, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: John in the ATL ]

ChrisW: To clarify what you wrote, the company recommends 5W-20 for non-Type-S RSXs and 5W-30 for 200-hp Type-Ss and TSXs, I guess because these latter motors work harder and rev higher. My friend's 160-hp RSX is supposed to use 5W-20.

But my point is, I'd like someone who really knows to tell me what's so special about the "break-in" oil the factory puts in. And what would really happen if you dump it early?

The break in oil Honda uses is loaded with moly and other anti-wear adds! It is the closet thing to Redline like additive package I have seen in a conventional oil. This oil is unque to factor fill and can not be bought over the counter.

To be honest I do not think that the base stock conventional or synthetic makes much difference in break in! The additive package could make a huge difference. The real question you have to ask is how long does it take to break in the engine? 50,150,500, 1000 or 5000 miles??? No engine designed and assembled with modern designs and machinery should take more the 1000 miles to break in. By break in I am refeering to the accelerated wear that take place until asperitys are nocked down. I am not talking about the trending down of all wear metals to a stabilized level. Some engine never trend down to a nice single or low double digit number and some come that way right out of the box.

To date I like DC's break in procedure and Mo-tunes break in procedure. THey make the most sense to me.

I'm actually considering buying a Type-S RSX or Nissan Z soon. I'd run the factory oil to 6k then switch to a good synthetic. Mobil 1/Amsoil does very well in these engines. M1R/S2k/RL if your going to beat on it.
cheers.gif

My wife's 01 Accord also called for that long break-in on the original oil. I usually change oil in a new car between 800 and 1200 miles (it's an old habit). On the Honda I waited till 2000 miles before changing it and I used Pennzoil 5/20 conventional. To date there have been no bad effects.

quote:

My wife's 01 Accord also called for that long break-in on the original oil. I usually change oil in a new car between 800 and 1200 miles (it's an old habit). On the Honda I waited till 2000 miles before changing it and I used Pennzoil 5/20 conventional. To date there have been no bad effects.

Why throw away good oil before it's time?
smile.gif

I let mine stay in there for 5K. It's looked extremely clean when I changed it. I know you can't tell by the look.

This is one instance where you should go by the book.
grin.gif

We must assume the Honda engineers know more than we do.

Dave

[ May 01, 2004, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: DavoNF ]

JohnBrowning, you've come the closest so far of answering my question: What's so special about the Honda factory initial oil fill? But still no details.

What sort of additives? Molys? What's your source? Anybody done any testing on the initial fill oil? Anybody out there with a contact at Honda?

quote:

Originally posted by Shifter:
JohnBrowning, you've come the closest so far of answering my question: What's so special about the Honda factory initial oil fill? But still no details.

What sort of additives? Molys? What's your source? Anybody done any testing on the initial fill oil? Anybody out there with a contact at Honda?

there are UOA's posted on this site with honda factory fill and it is loaded with moly. The search feature will lend more info. but from the top of my head, I can remember the moly being in the 400's. other factory fills were tested from different manufacturers and most didn't have any moly in their break in oil

Does anyone know if GM uses the same type Honda OEM oil in the Saturn Vue with the Honda 3.5 V6? I just changed mine @ 3000 miles to Mobil 1 5W30.
I know the Vettes (and most race engines) get Mobil 1 from birth so that dispels any notions about needing to "break in" on petroleum base oil.

I would listen to Honda as well. After all, they are one of the most reliable cars out there. Honda is also the world's biggest engine manufacturer. I doubt that they would not know what they are talking about after all the engines they've designed and built.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back