First oil change at 4K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 03 Toyota Tacoma V6 and I didn't do the first oil change until 4k miles.
pat.gif
I was just going to follow the scheduled maintenance which said, first oil change at 7500 because I didn't know any better. luckily I changed it before then, because when I drained the original oil it was very black. My question is do you think I have done any damage to the engine? If so are there any recomendations to minimize it. Since then I have changed the oil at 6k and now I'm at 8k. I used Valvoline 5w30 for the first 2 changes, on my next change I plan on using either Chevron 5w30 or M1 5w30.

dunno.gif

No, I doubt any damage is done. Now, look for 100 Tacomas as you drive today. OK. Now 90 of them changed the oil at a greater interval than you. 5 were about the same interval. The other 5 did it very early. Now, notice that all of them are still running, and none are smoking, etc. Relax. Everything's OK.

And
welcome.gif

I agree, you're fine, but I'd stay away from dino in this vehicle. Mobil 1 is an excellent choice for yours!
wink.gif

I dont understand the question? If Toyota calls for first oil change at 7,500 miles, and you did it at 4,000 miles, why would you think you damaged your engine? Because the oil is black? The color of the oil means NOTHING. You can look at any oil manufacturer' web site and see it for yourself if you do not believe me. The only damage you did is to your wallet...and oil is cheap.

quote:

Originally posted by Luxor:
I have a 03 Toyota Tacoma V6 and I didn't do the first oil change until 4k miles.
pat.gif
I was just going to follow the scheduled maintenance which said, first oil change at 7500 because I didn't know any better. luckily I changed it before then, because when I drained the original oil it was very black. My question is do you think I have done any damage to the engine? If so are there any recomendations to minimize it. Since then I have changed the oil at 6k and now I'm at 8k. I used Valvoline 5w30 for the first 2 changes, on my next change I plan on using either Chevron 5w30 or M1 5w30.

dunno.gif

quote:

pat.gif
--snip--

Hey don't worry about a Tacoma, the v6 maybe but not the Tacoma..

I have one, and I went 68K on one change, sure it hurt it, but she keeps going fine.

ALMOST All the Long time courier guys use the Tacoma,most trade them up in the 300-350's
and a lot of them change 5-7-10K with regular oil, letting them leak etc...

NO, you've got plenty of life in that engine!
Their older engine was almost bullet proof and so is this one.

I was just wondering because most people on this board recommend first oil changes at 1k miles because of the posability of metal in the new engine. I was just worried because when I drained out the original oil it was not only black but it was very thin, I don't think it would have been good to let it go to 7500.

quote:

I was just wondering because most people on this board recommend first oil changes at 1k miles because of the posability of metal in the new engine. I was just worried because when I drained out the original oil it was not only black but it was very thin, I don't think it would have been good to let it go to 7500.

Don't worry with the Tacoma, they last a long long long long long time. Just use Quality oil, and don't let any film build-up, so say 30K do a flush, and all will be well.

I know guys that change 4k or 5k or more, they use Pennzoil and they have gone 500K 420K etc.
Just keep good oil in her and make sure she does not gum up... the truck will start falling apart before that engine! Just keep everything changed and CLEAN.

Break-in is achieved while there is still cross-hatching inside the cylinder walls. It acts to polish the rings and seat them. The high combustion pressures needed are achieved with deep throttle, low revs. Do this to your engine. Change to synth and change it twice a year, before the cold of winter and the heat of summer, May and November would be ideal. My Audi was filled with Castrol SLX from the factory, 1st change is 10,000 miles. 4,000-6,000 miles is ideal for 1st change, but seating the rings is more important.

quote:

Originally posted by AudiJunkie:
Break-in is achieved while there is still cross-hatching inside the cylinder walls. It acts to polish the rings and seat them. The high combustion pressures needed are achieved with deep throttle, low revs. Do this to your engine. Change to synth and change it twice a year, before the cold of winter and the heat of summer, May and November would be ideal. My Audi was filled with Castrol SLX from the factory, 1st change is 10,000 miles. 4,000-6,000 miles is ideal for 1st change, but seating the rings is more important.

It doesn't take 10k to seat rings though. With new engines nowadays it doesn't even take more than a few miles really. I've heard that by the time you take delivery of a new car those rings are usually seated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back