First oil analysis ever, trying to understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Have a '97 Camry I got from the original owner last year with 183,000 on the clock; he changed the oil religiously according to the owner's manual (at the dealership no less). Drove it for a year and had the oil checked. Car always ran great but did get a decent puff of blue smoke at cold startup. Gave it an Auto-RX treatment a while back, now it does not smoke at all at startup. Fine running little Camry.

Anyway, I had my baseline analysis done, here are the results:

2078050800_785a8e0407_o.png

Engine is currently running Valvoline MaxLife synthetic blend, 5w-30. That is what was in the crankcase when this test was done.

Overall I think the results look pretty good for an engine with 190k miles on it. Just trying to understand any nuances. Will be taking another sample at the next change (or I might skip one).

Thanks!

-kj-

Flashpoint was down some more than likely due to the fuel dilution as well as the viscosity. I believe the maxlife 5W30 is a somewhat thick 30 weight, so it did take a hit somewhat but dont quote me on that.

All in all it seems like everything is going pretty good except for the fuel.

When was the air filter last replaced?

The oil did take a hit....it is now a 20wt. The viscosity @100C for a 30wt should be in the 9.3 to 12.5 range. The report showed hardly any fuel dilution. Fuel dilutions normal range is 1.0 to 1.5 without any problems. The silicon is a troubled area, range should be around 20. But your insoulubles are low or normal as well as the wear metals. Solids can range in the 1.5 area without any issues.

Did the car have any work on the engine done?

The oil depleting to a 20w in 3K is a little troubling, however...the engine was well protected by this oil even in the 20w range.

I would change the air filter out as well as the PCV valve and see what the next run of oil does....nothing to be alarmed about at this point.

Im just assuming this report was from Blackstone and when others have seen the fuel .5 or greater they have always said there is a fuel dilution problem.

I am trying to learn and always willing to.

Is silicon dirt? From stuff getting past the air filter?

All good advice here.

Avoid long-spell idlings also & don't do the next UOA with a heavy fresh dose of fuel cleaners recently installed. It "may/may not" produce 1-2 higher metal numbers on your reports. I would do the fuel system cleaning just prior to an oil change that I'm not sending-in for a UOA.

Here again, we have another valid case for 3K mile OCI or perhaps even sooner based on time. I'm not entirely clear on this but I get the impression that this car sees mostly short trip driving ? The 3K miles on this oil took approx one year, is that right ?

With the fuel dilution approaching 1% and the viscosity down into the 20 weight range, it's time for an oil change. Yes the wear numbers are fine but what is not being looked at here is the deposit control aspect. Fuel in oil is known to promote varnish and sludge. The low viscosity indicates some destruction of the VII polymers probably from the fuel presence, and we now have additional organic junk to promote deposits.

Again, the wear numbers are fine. But if it were my car I would change the oil and filter. Wear is not the only consideration. For the minor cost of $20 - $25 to protect your investment, it makes sense. Be aware that there are plenty of people here that will boast that they saved a whopping $20 in one year by running their oil to 5K , rather than changing it sooner. A very short sighted maintenance philosophy on a car that may have cost $10K - $30K. Complete 'false economy' in my opinion.

This oil is torn to smithareens. It starts at 11.3 Cst and dropped to 7.93 Cst. The fuel really isn't that high but the flashpoint is very low. Silicon is way up there.

Something isn't right IMO, OR, this engine was subject to extreme short trip driving and the ignition system is weak. The cam gear configuration (aka egg beater) doesn't help. I'd bet there is significant moisture in the oil but it's not showing up in the report?

I'd for sure get a set of fresh spark plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor in there and do a thorough inspection of the air filter and associated plumbing/clamps for any leaks. I'd also change the PCV valve and check the PCV plumbing. All VERY easy things to do on these engines (that's why I love 4 bangers - Sooooooooooo easy to work on).

And a FYI, might want to check on the condition of the timing belt or make sure there is record if it being changed.

Originally Posted By: va3ux
Here again, we have another valid case for 3K mile OCI or perhaps even sooner based on time. I'm not entirely clear on this but I get the impression that this car sees mostly short trip driving ? The 3K miles on this oil took approx one year, is that right ?

With the fuel dilution approaching 1% and the viscosity down into the 20 weight range, it's time for an oil change. Yes the wear numbers are fine but what is not being looked at here is the deposit control aspect. Fuel in oil is known to promote varnish and sludge. The low viscosity indicates some destruction of the VII polymers probably from the fuel presence, and we now have additional organic junk to promote deposits.

Again, the wear numbers are fine. But if it were my car I would change the oil and filter. Wear is not the only consideration. For the minor cost of $20 - $25 to protect your investment, it makes sense. Be aware that there are plenty of people here that will boast that they saved a whopping $20 in one year by running their oil to 5K , rather than changing it sooner. A very short sighted maintenance philosophy on a car that may have cost $10K - $30K. Complete 'false economy' in my opinion.

I think he did change the oil

Terrific information everyone, thank you. Some answers...

The 3k miles on this sample were approximately 70-80% short trips over a period of about five months. We did take it on a couple of long journeys (visits to colleges - she's a HS senior) but I doubt it was 1,000 miles. Mostly it is driven to school by my teenage daughter. Prior to our ownership, an elderly gentleman and his wife drove it like there was no tomorrow, long trips, every day, AND used a 3,000 mile OCI.

I have to check the AF but I think I remember seeing it was new when I got the car.

Yes this is a Blackstone UOA.

Timing chain was changed twice, most recently at 160k. The prior owner was super anal. If he needed air in the tires, he'd go to the dealership. I am not kidding!

No engine repairs have ever been done to the car as far as I know.

I've got a bottle of Techron in the garage I was going to toss in, will do that at the next fillup.

Overall I think you have validated that this little Camry looks like a keeper and should, with proper service, continue to live a long, healthy life. At least that's my hope!

Thanks again!

-kj-

Silicon is way high and fuel is high for the interval.

This isn't a case for 3K changes, it's a case for finding and fixing minor issues before they cause major problems. Thanks to the gear driven cams it may also be case where a synthetic or other more shear resistant oil would be called for.

A TBN would have been helpful.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Timing chain - changed twice w/in 160k miles? You might want to check that again.

2.2L has a belt.

RE HIGH SILICON
on the TOYO 2.2 check for a crack in the hard plastic hose where it connects to the intake manifold. They like to crack on the backside (no pun intended) and you really can't see the crack too well unless you take the hose completely off. Dealer wanted about 75 dollars for the part if I remember correctly. You can also use black duct tape to band aid it but plan on re-duct taping about every 6 months.

Originally Posted By: jsharp

This isn't a case for 3K changes, it's a case for finding and fixing minor issues before they cause major problems.

Loss of viscosity, fuel, low flash point : this is a case for 3K mile oil changes.

This isn't a case for 3K changes, it's a case for finding and fixing minor issues before they cause major problems. Thanks to the gear driven cams it may also be case where a synthetic or other more shear resistant oil would be called for.

Loss of viscosity, fuel, low flash point : this is a case for 3K mile oil changes.

I added the rest of my post back to the quote so it wasn't out of context.

I suppose 3K changes are a great idea if he wants to ignore the potential problems we see here. Fuel dilution, high silicon, and possibly an oil that isn't all that shear resistant.

Why not try to fix the real problems though instead of hiding them by changing the oil so frequently?

Last edited:
Do an oil change with Maxlife Blend again, run it for 3K and do another UOA. Very tough to tell what's going on with 1 report and it doesn't appear that your engine is receiving any additional wear with the viscosity drop.

I added the rest of my post back to the quote so it wasn't out of context.

I suppose 3K changes are a great idea if he wants to ignore the potential problems we see here. Fuel dilution, high silicon, and possibly an oil that isn't all that shear resistant.

Why not try to fix the real problems though instead of hiding them by changing the oil so frequently?

I'm saying : change the oil more frequently because it's contaminated and out of spec, and can adversely affect longevity and engine cleanliness.

You're in essence saying : forget that; it should be able to run longer, even though it should clearly be changed; ignore the contamination and out of spec conditions, and keep running the contaminated oil until the causes are fixed. And I do agree with your push to identify and fix root causes.

I say : whenthe root causes are fixed, then run the oil longer. Until that day comes, change it more frequently. And if the root causes are frequent short trips or worn rings or whatever, that day may never come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back