First jump into better oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past I've been really cheap and buying the cheapest of dino oils for my vehicles and changing out at 3k. Now that the wife has a newer (and nicer) vehicle, going to start using better stuff.

I've recently started reading how using synthetics (and the correct weight...whoops) will help out the engine load. I already have a dog of a 3.0L with 160k miles in my Ranger. I'm really excited to see if there are any benefits. I've got myself some Valvoline MaxLife 5w20 for my Ranger and some Castrol Syntec Blend 5w20 for the wife's '07 Mitsubishi Outlander.

I've tried searching around for Ranger viewpoints on oils...not much here on these forums

You should start changing oil at 5-6k miles, 3k oil change is so outdated. The cheapest SM dino oil of today can easily protect your engines to 5-6k miles if they are operated under normal driving conditions.

Maxlife is excellent oil, have used it for years. 5-6000mi oci is just fine with that oil. in fact you should use it in both vehicles, it's probably better than the syntec blend.

First of all
welcome2.gif

You need to find another source for accurate reading.
whistle.gif

Any oil of the correct weight will protect and keep clean your engines.

I had a Ford V6 3.0 Vulcan that I had to tear apart twice. Spotless inside both times. It was a rent a car for the first 21k miles so we now it did not have 3k oil changes.

Follow the manual and you'll be fine. Esp with today's oils.

Take care, Bill

Your Ranger is a dog because the 3.0L Vulcan is a dog; it's underpowered by most any standard.

I can say that because I've owned a few, I still drive one now in my '97 Taurus, and I absolutely love them! They are a very easy engine to service, to do major work on, and they will run nearly forever with just a good routine maintenance plan. They don't need synthetic in any way to function properly for well past 250k miles.

The reason for this is that they are a well designed engine. I'm not implying that other brands don't have good designs, as many do. But Ford got this one right, overall. Great lube system, simple design, and the fact that it produces a relatively low HP/litre number probably helps; keeps the component stress down. In my mind, it is the modern v-6 equivilant to Ford's old 4.9L L-6; reknowned for its longevity, and "average at best" power levels.

The oils you've chosen will work quite well in your vehicles; I don't want to detract from the products you've selected. And I cannot comment on the Mitsu' as I've never had much real experience with one. But the Ranger/Vulcan will soldier on for another 100k or better, easily.

Your committment to good routine PM will benefit the Ranger much more than any anal-retentive obsession with a particular brand/grade of oil. That's kind of a buzz-kill to the whole BITOG mentality, but it's the truth at its core.

Last edited:
I don't know what the Castrol Syntec Blend 5W-20 costs, but Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 is a good choice for the Outlander. 5W-40 European formula is even better. Is it the 2.4L or 3.0L version?

The Outlander is the 3.0L. Heh, it kinda saddens me that the Mitsu 3.0L Mivec puts out 220HP and my Vulcan 3.0L was rated at 150HP. It is an amazing vehicle.

Both oils were 5 bucks a quart at AdvanceAuto. MaxLife went to the Ranger due to miles on it. I wasn't sure about putting MaxLife in the Outlander since they spouted about additional additives for older engines...I wasn't sure I really wanted to put that in the newer Outlander. Both engines called for 5w20, so I'll start there.

Your 3k oci with cheap oil was perfect. Just lock and load some PP and run 5-6k or 6months. Change it Fall and Spring.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
You should start changing oil at 5-6k miles, 3k oil change is so outdated. The cheapest SM dino oil of today can easily protect your engines to 5-6k miles if they are operated under normal driving conditions.

I agree that 3k is outdated, but I'm a fan of basing your OCI on the conditions the vehicle was driven in. If it's super cold in the dead of winter, I always do a much shorter OCI to compensate for the added stress on the oil and condensation accumulation.

Of course this is easy for me to do since both of the vehicles parked in my garage have oil life monitors (OLM).

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Your 3k oci with cheap oil was perfect. Just lock and load some PP and run 5-6k or 6months. Change it Fall and Spring.
Originally Posted By: steve20
and buy your oils on sale...................

+1
thumbsup2.gif

unless you have a sludger....
thumbsup2.gif

Congrats on stepping up and trying out new things. I think as we get older and drive newer vehicles we start to care more about our vehicles and maintenance issues and with the price of vehicles it is nice to hang onto them for as long as possible.

The price difference between Dino and Syn oils is not that great when you only have to change your oil every 4-6 or 12 months.(Probably works out to cost the same as 1 fast food lunch a month)

Originally Posted By: lexus114

unless you have a sludger....
thumbsup2.gif

VERY FEW of those.

No oil is going to fix problems. If you have a sludge issue, FIX the problem (like PCV system).

The engine will thank you for that over what oil you run.

My family has always kept up on vehicle maintenance and so we've run them forever. My '77 Blazer was retired in '99 at 300k+. My '93 Eclipse w/ 1.8L was retired at 245k (I was averaging 20k miles per year). I got my ranger with 150K on it and I plan on keeping it around for a while.

One thing I think is so hard about oils is that they are marketed so much...and I have a hard time believing marketing...because everyone's oil is the greatest. I think that's why forums like these are good since here you hear what seems to work best with little [censored].

My sons 91 Ranger 3.0 has 330,000 miles on M1 10-30. Engine still runs great. Valve covers have never been off. 10,000 to 12,000 mile OCIs.

There is a TON of marketing here in this board.

Esp in the last few years. Lately the koolaid has been amazing.
20.gif

We try to get facts out but there are some that refuse to think or try other stuff.

Take care, bill

CErnst - You are in luck! Virtually all modern oils are very good to great.
Synthetic is primarily for longer oil change intervals - about twice as long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back