First issue with the Volt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's already been corrected, but I had my first real issue with my Volt last week and forgot to post.

I was leaving a buddies house, turned the car on and got ready to take off. I happened to glance down and see that the dash was displaying a message saying "Ice possible, drive with care". Well... it's early September. That can't be, can it? I glance over at the center display where the outside temp is displayed, and it was in Celsius!

At this point, I looked back at the dash and saw that there were LOTS of other warnings coming up, including warnings for things my car doesn't even have: "Service Park Assist" being one. I also noticed that the speedo had switched to metric as well, and the battery meter was showing 0 miles even though I knew I had at least half charge remaining. The car seemed fine, other than the warning messages and newly-minted metric status. I also noticed that at first power on, the message "Program Cluster" would appear briefly. All very strange, and completely random.

I drove home and to work the next day just fine. No issues, it still charged up fine and drove fine. The next day, I disconnected the 12 volt battery and tested it with an old school load tester, it came back better than fine. Often, electrical glitches on these are attributed to a weak 12v battery not being able to power the modules at startup. After reconnecting the battery, everything went back to normal. I had to set the clock, of course, but otherwise it's been fine.

I'm sure I'll never be able to find out why this happened, I just take it as a glitch. The only thing that annoys me is that I had been been using "TRIP B" to track my lifetime miles driven and MPG, and "TRIP A" to track tank-to-tank mileage and MPG. Well, disconnecting the battery cleared my trip meters. ARGH!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
People I talk to love their Volts and Bolts.
Great cars.

I absolutely love my Volt. Other than a noisy front wheel bearing, I've had nary an issue with it. It's an amazing piece of machinery.

I have had the ice warning come up on my Corvette DIC. It will come on when it's really cold outside. Hopefully with your Volt it is only a glitch.

It's obvious that your Volt snuck out of the driveway while you were at your friends house just to get loaded up on Canadian whiskey..

Good to hear you got it taken care of .

I bet it was caused by the harmonic balance of the North Sea . Or by an alien fly by .

We thought about buying a Volt . But a new one was way out of our price range for a second car & never found a good used one in our price range . The 2 used ones we test drove , were not as roomy inside as we were hoping for . ( My Wife and I are on the large economy size . )

Best of luck to you and take care , :)

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
It's obvious that your Volt snuck out of the driveway while you were at your friends house just to get loaded up on Canadian whiskey..

Or Korean soju, given LG makes the batteries.

I like the Volt, I've driven a loaded gen 2. It's much better than the Prius Plug-in/Prime.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
It's already been corrected, but I had my first real issue with my Volt last week and forgot to post.
!

Do you remember anything in trips in the car just prior to when you found the fault that you can recall? Did you use features you don't normally use,
unusual driving sequences for you, ect?

Hmm. Will auto repair be reduced to "did you try taking the battery out and then rebooting?"

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by 14Accent
!

Do you remember anything in trips in the car just prior to when you found the fault that you can recall? Did you use features you don't normally use,
unusual driving sequences for you, ect?

Nope. I'm the only one who uses the car, and I hardly ever touch anything besides the radio, windows, and shifter. I did rack my brain, however, thinking of anything that could have been different. I had already driven the car at least 4 times that day, and all was fine up to and including the drive to said friends house. It's a real mystery, however not that strange considering pretty much any computer can "freeze".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back