First impression of QSAD SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have had the hottest summer on record in a long time here in Texas. It was over 100 deg for more than 2 months straight! This summer i ran QSAD SN 5/30 in my wifes explorer with ALOT of stop and go driving. Because this summer was so harsh i decided to change the oil at 3k. Upon draining the oil i noticed that it looked almost new (slightly discolored) and didn't seem to broken down at all. I was actually kind of bummed becuase if the catch pan had been clean i would have poured the oil right back in.
There are so many people that bag on QS (i used to be one of them) and they have never even put it to the test. just want to say im very happy with the oil and wish i could find another sale for 1.99 a QT!!

Engine oil does run hotter in warm weather, for sure.
But what counts is the actual oil temperature.
We want to keep it at around 200 deg F or so [oil pan/sump temp].

Clean oil? The oil could be varnishing parts and the detergent package is too weak to suspend the oxidised and converted compounds. But if the oil meets API-SN, the lube should do a good job cleaning in theory.

Last edited:
Question: Why should QS be so much different than PZ or Formula Shell? I don't think differentiation by brand name alone is in any way accurate anymore. PYB SN AFAIK is practically on par with GrIII's of yore for heavens sake. Shell's base oils are pretty impressive, and the slightly differing additive packages between branded products really shouldn't make a world of difference IMO.

Originally Posted By: electrolover

There are so many people that bag on QS (i used to be one of them) and they have never even put it to the test. just want to say im very happy with the oil and wish i could find another sale for 1.99 a QT!!

Did you run a UOA? Looking at it is not the best way to determine how well the oil is doing. You saved enough on the oil (on sale) that you can thus afford a UOA.

no guys i didnt get a uoa. i would like to but it would cost more than an oil change with QS
lol.gif
so i cant justify the expense. As far as varnish goes the engine still looks like it was just built looking in the oil fill. Although im sure coolant temp has some effect on oil temp, i also know its not a direct relationship. heck look at any grouted engine, the water temp will be extremely low and the oil will skyrocket. Ambient temp however does have a direct relationship with oil temperatures, along with driving style and so many other things.

anyway just saying im happy with the product and if there might be anyone reading this that is scared of QS because of the rumors, dont be!

I have been using QS for the past year & plan to continue using it. Great oil at a good price, usually.

For the past 10 years, my dad has only used quakerstate in all of his vehicles.

His 91 chevy P/U with the 4.3l burned about 1/2 quart every 3k miles. It has about 280k miles when he sold it.

It's good oil in my book, and usually a fair bit cheaper then pennzoil.

you know guys i was thinking maybe summer time is easier on oil( in some cases) than cold weather. it seems like even with stop and go/ short trip driving your oil might get up to temp much faster if it starts out at 100 F than say 40-50 F, thus burning off contaminants better even with short trips.
What do you guys think? would that be a fare assumption?

Currently have QSAD in my folks Maxima due to just what I had at the time of their OC.
It is the first conventional oil this car has seen in at least 7-8 years if not more. Engine purrs like a kitten. Would use again for sure.

I've used it did good by me and is only 12 bucks at Walmart in saying that I think my car prefers valvoline . It ran coolest on Mobil super 5w30 but drank it the quickest to. My car is just picky. But qs is definelty good product at a good price

you know guys i was thinking maybe summer time is easier on oil( in some cases) than cold weather. it seems like even with stop and go/ short trip driving your oil might get up to temp much faster if it starts out at 100 F than say 40-50 F, thus burning off contaminants better even with short trips.

That is exactly how it works. A trip of the same distance in the summer(say 5 miles) is 'harder' on the oil in the winter.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

That is exactly how it works. A trip of the same distance in the summer(say 5 miles) is 'harder' on the oil in the winter.

Usually true but like most things their are always exceptions.

If your average commute is 100 miles through Death Valley and your oil temp ran 225F in Summer and 195F in Winter I could see the opposite being true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back