First impression of Pennzoil synthetic 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
First cold start after 8+ hours of sitting = no bearing rattle. Ergo, the new filter fixed that problem.
fruit.gif

Well, I put the ST16 filter on this morning so we'll see if that takes care of the cold start bearing rattle.

Here's a kicker: When I started her up this morning, there was no bearing rattle. And when I took the filter off, it was full of oil—I had to add almost a quart to get it up to the full mark after putting on the new filter. This tells me that—at least after the last shutdown—the anti-drainback valve did hold.
dunno.gif

Tell you what...after learning about SuperTech filters here on BiTOG, I decided to give 'em a try.

Well, somedays I'd go out and the truck would start up fine...no problems at all.

Next day, you'd go out, start it up, and get the dreaded "tick-tick-tick" for extended periods of time indicating dry startup (read - bad ADBV).

I understand many on here have had great success with the SuperTech filters, but I switched to an AcDelco PF52 and haven't any problems since.

[ August 01, 2004, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
Here's an update: Since putting the ST16 on I've not had a single cold start with any bearing rattle.

If you're using a ST16 then you can also use a Motorcraft FL200. Same spec filter but with the bypass valve on the open/screw end and possibly more important the anti drain back valve is silicone instead of nitrile. Sometimes Wally World has them for $2.77. But lately it seems that Wally World has less and less Motorcraft filters. Heck they even have less Super Tech filters anymore. All I see is the dreaded wall of orange anymore
frown.gif
. And the Fram PH16 costs around $4.50+ at Wally World and the Motorcraft FL200 costs $4.68 at Advance Auto. It's a no brainer
rolleyes.gif

Whimsey

Since this has evolved to filters: 4 days ago I did an oil and filter change on my 99 Nissan Sentra using a Super Tech filter. Before bringing my oil level fully up I started up the engine to get the filter filled. I then carefully added oil to get it to the top mark on the dipstick. The next day I rechecked the oil level and found it right on that top mark. Today I was puzzled when I checked the oil level and found it about 1/4 quart above the top mark. Could it be that the filter ADBV has failed, allowing oil from above to drain back down into the oil pan? I was planning on taking some oil out.

quote:

Originally posted by krholm:
Today I was puzzled when I checked the oil level and found it about 1/4 quart above the top mark. Could it be that the filter ADBV has failed, allowing oil from above to drain back down into the oil pan?

Yup. That's what happened to me. Exact same scenario. Oil too high on the dipstick means ADBV has leaked. (And in my case it produced "dry" starts with lots of bearing rattle.)

The ST16 seems to be holding just fine, but if this problem continues to manifest itself with SuperTech filters, I won't be using them anymore.

Here's an update: Since putting the ST16 on I've not had a single cold start with any bearing rattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back