First earl change for the Ody

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would make a post about the first oil change in the 2006 Ody, but nothing much to say.

Drove the heated up van on flat 2X6's.

The drain plug was VERY tight. I actually had to tap the wrench with the polymer dead blow hammer. The Filtech was also VERY tight. I had to use my favorite filter grabber wrench. I drained the filter and will save for dissection later.

A bit messy - and yes the oil shoots right out on the exhaust pipeage. I will poke a hole in the filter for draining pre-removal next time, as I slopped that bad boy.

On went the partially pre-filled Fromda filter. Gotta keep that warranty, ya know.

No room for my torque wrench. I'll drive it up on ramps tomorrow and next oil change. I just got it tight enough with a box wrench like the old dyas.

Filling the V6 is not exactly easy. Had the funnel for the job, some may not. In went the Amsoil API SM XL 5W-20. 4.75 qts.....will check again tomorrow.

Engine sounds the same. Darn.
lol.gif

why cant honda design a proper filter placement ever????

On my fiancee's integra, after youre done scraping up the knuckles trying to get the filter wrench on and usable, then the oil drops onto most everything below, making all kinds of mess.

I have no more hatred for honda products than when Im changing the oil in her car.

I kind of like the fit, depite only 38 MPG hwy.. If I decide to get another commuter car due to my now extremely reduced commutes (mo point ruining the saab on 10 minute commutes)... I may buy a fit, but filter placement would be the main determinant!

JMH

I used to have an '04 Honda Pilot. The stealer had a nice aluminum-looking "shield" that was specifically designed for placing near the oil filter when removing it on the 3.5L V6. It fit like a glove where it was supposed to, and it did a pretty good job of directing the mess straight down into the catch pan.

Maybe you can get one, or take a look at the stealer's and make your own.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
I kind of like the fit, depite only 38 MPG hwy.. If I decide to get another commuter car due to my now extremely reduced commutes (mo point ruining the saab on 10 minute commutes)... I may buy a fit, but filter placement would be the main determinant!JMH

It looks like the oil filter on the Fit is easily accessible. The oil changes shouldn't be messy eather.

360° views

[ May 14, 2006, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: vad ]

quote:

It looks like the oil filter on the Fit is easily accessible. The oil changes shouldn't be messy eather.

I could not find it easy on the one Fits I looked at..
frown.gif

It's not in the same place as the Civic the best I could tell.
spaz.gif

Where is it Vad?

Also, Changed the oil and filter in my Dads Vue (which has the same engine / filter as your Can Pabs) and the @#$%$#^&! filter will not come off with a end cap socket.
mad.gif

I have to take large waterpump pliers and shread the filter to get it off. I put it on hand tight 3/4 of a turn...
dunno.gif

Oh well, at least I get the filter removed. And spill oil on the frame of course..

The 5w-20 that came out of there was pretty clean. (I know, color does not matter!)
grin.gif

(But I'd rather see clean then clumps of oil come out)
lol.gif

Pablo, 4.5 qts for your engine?

Take care, Bill
fruit.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bill in Utah:

quote:

frown.gif

It's facing forward, totally unobstructed, easily reached from the underneath.
 -

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
why cant honda design a proper filter placement ever????

Willow tree with grey buds...stop whining.
grin.gif
Honda engines are designed to the Nth degree...filter changes are secondary concerns.

Pabs...good choice. You still have your fan base...considering.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by vad:

quote:

quote:

frown.gif

It's facing forward, totally unobstructed, easily reached from the underneath.
 -

Nope. There is a splash /skid plate in the way if I remember. I did not get allthe way under the car. The engine compartment is packed in there.. Both sides.. I STILL should have seen it.. (old age.. and in a hurry)
grin.gif

But, atleast it's not in the #!@$^ rear of the engine near the manafold like my 1998 accord and Dad's 2001 Civic.

The worst Honda is the the older CRV..

I "helped" a co-worker change oil once on one..
shocked.gif

Wow, not easy. Also 1993 Exploder.. Not fun..
nono.gif

I still have nightmares about those.
spaz.gif

I also wish they could have had the filter vertical so you can prefill it like the Civic and other cars like Corolla, Chev v8s etc.

Thanks for the photo!
cheers.gif

Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I just change the oil filter on my wife's Honda every 12-15K miles.

On her Honda is very easy to change, but I hate the mess it makes. I notice if you use an oversized oil filter, it just makes it easier to take off when you do change it.

Bill, I hear ya about the rear orientation of the filters...

UGH! I cant stand it!

I prefer the chrysler method (I just call it that because its set up in my mother's plymouth breeze like that)... where the filter is straight up and down, right next to the oil drain plug, so everything can leak and drip together right into the container without issue... and then the oil filter drops right down and doesnt pour additional oil as I remove it.

I dont like sideways filters, regardless of make or model... I actually greatly prefer cartridge filters!

JMH

vad,

offtopic.gif

I dont like either of the 'concepts'... not to be too nitpicky...

The top one has no lines (which will equate to easily noticible dents when some jerk soccer mom pusher her cart into the car), and the boittom one has too many lines and looks too similr to the current one.

Long live the current fit (and please stick a diesel in!).

JMH

quote:

Nope. There is a splash /skid plate in the way if I remember. I did not get allthe way under the car.

Bill, there is a cutout in the skid plate just for the filter.
Check out the 360 degree view of the Fit.
Let it load, then click on the "Enlarge View" button.
You can use the mouse to rotate the car in every direction. The blue oil filter is clearly visible when you look at the bottom of the car.

JHZR2, I actually like the Euro lines of the concept.
And yes, the Americans should have the diesel option available, as almost everyone in the world.

quote:

Bill, there is a cutout in the skid plate just for the filter.

Yep! I see it now.
cheers.gif

It's really far in there. (A few feet at least)

I could not craw in that far..

A set of ramps would be in a Fit owners future!

Thanks for the tip to find it. Now they just needed to mount it vertical like the Civic.. (I know, picky picky..
nono.gif
)
grin.gif

As least it's NOT on the rearend of the engine!
worshippy.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

As least it's NOT on the rearend of the engine!
worshippy.gif

That's my car.
frown.gif

The Fit's filter location looks nearly perfect in comparison.

Those are classics, with an exception of the Saab.
I meant the modern Euro.

-

[ May 14, 2006, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: vad ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back