First Dealer Trip For The Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea you're probably thinking you took a 10 year old 132K mile truck to the dealer? Let me explain.

Since I bought my truck I've had a small vibration and thumping/grinding noise between 30 to 40ish MPH. First though it was the old cracked Michelin tires that came on the truck. After replacing the tires it got better, but a month or so later I needed 4wd to get out of my yard (at the time it was raining inches at a time... it was a mess). After that the problem came back with vengeance! I seriously thought the new tires were junk (they still are, but that's another subject). Did some digging and found a thread on the Tacoma forum that had a TSB for the issue that the needle bearing for where the drivers side front CV axle goes into goes bad. Testing procedure has you driving strait at the effected mileage and switch on 4wd, if the noise/grinding goes away replace the bearing. Yup, problem went away. There's a company that makes an upgraded part (bushing sleeve instead of a new needle bearing) and install kit, but honestly it was something I didn't want to get into. Talked to my local shop and they did not want to do it (pretty sure they just want to do gravy jobs nowadays...) so unfortunately for me it was off to a local dealer with TSB in hand printed out. They confirmed the issue and while they could have put a new needle bearing in, but they did not want to because the truck has a small lift. Dealer did not want to it fail a couple thousand miles later. They ordered the upgraded sleeve bushing and installed it. They charged a little over $100 for the part and 3 hours labor @ $120/hr. A little pricey, but the issue is now gone (hopefully for good) and drives/feels normal. I'm just glad someone there knew it was a known issue with the factory needle bearings.

The first owner bought a differential drop kit, but never installed it. I have to wonder now if when he installed the leveling/lift kit the problem started. It was never installed as he said he had to get a different vehicle for the kids. I do not plan on installing this kit as it seems to be hit or miss with issues.

Next issues at hand are the steering shaft joints and getting a solid rear driveshaft made, both aren't bad to fix though.

Very reasonable for a dealer repair like that and given the circumstances you outlined above. Any pics of the truck?

Dealer installed an aftermarket part ? That doesn't happen often, does it ? I presume they offered a small warranty on the labor but they will limit their responsibility for the part.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Very reasonable for a dealer repair like that and given the circumstances you outlined above. Any pics of the truck?

It cost about what I expected being a dealer.

Some older pictures, nothing too special. I have since polished out the faded out SS paint.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Dealer installed an aftermarket part ? That doesn't happen often, does it ? I presume they offered a small warranty on the labor but they will limit their responsibility for the part.

In certain cases it happens. In my case they know the factory part won't hold up. I've read some dealers even stock the upgraded aftermarket part it's such a known issue. Warranty is for both part and labor.

Originally Posted by Delta

In certain cases it happens. In my case they know the factory part won't hold up. I've read some dealers even stock the upgraded aftermarket part it's such a known issue. Warranty is for both part and labor.

We will put in Bullet Proof EGR coolers and ARP headstuds for customers. Although now Ford sells ARP headstuds with the head gaskets on 6.0 diesels

I had a 2006 Tacoma 4x4 4 cyl I loved that truck, My son has it now and really enjoys it They are a well made and durable truck that will last and last! The dealer trip would be well worth the $$$ if they properly repaired the truck . She is just about broke in.

Outside warranty and on your dime, they are more lax to do minor stuff like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back