first cold morning startup with Chev Supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overnight temps down into the high teens and 19 degrees (F) at startup this morning. Normally this is at the borderline of temps for my F150 making that awful, loud tapping noise at first morning startup. Typical scenario would be noise is bad for the first 2-4 seconds then quiets down and is gone within say 8-10 seconds (max). I was very pleased when she started right up with nothing but the sweet sound of a well lubricated v8. Perfectly quiet (except for the nice rumble of the Dynomax exhaust
grin.gif
)

So far so good but the true test will be overnight temps in the single digit range (F).
Also, FWIW....Wally World ST-2 filter is on (used up my last one).

Mikep

I'm sure that Chevron would like to take all the credit for the quiet valve train, but maybe your previous oil filters were defective, causing you to have the problem in the first place. If the oil was completely draining out of your filter, then you would have had to pump a great deal of oil to fill up the filter before your heads ever saw that oil.

Also, if you were using a higher viscosity oil when cold, it takes a little longer for the oil to flow to the critical engine parts. Of course, using a good oil does help.

My 94 Thunderbird 4.6 would make the same noise on castrol GTX and M1 10W-30 ...... I had some Mobil Drive clean Synth blend 5W-30 sitting around and did my last oil change with that stuff and the start-up noise is gone.......wonder now if it is the Mobil oil or the change to 5W-30.
Mine only made the noise for about a second after a cold start while the engine was revving up to high idle right after firing.

Mike, mine does this too except when I slap in some fuel system cleaner...I'm attributing it to either a stuck or worn valve or lifter which the f.s. cleaner is freeing and lubricating. Try some f.s. cleaner and/or Lucas f.s. cleaner/upper cylinder lube...

Well, despite some of the recent "freezer test" discussions, my '99 F150 running 5w20 Havoline started up with no protest on Saturday morning at -13 F, no block heater or garage. No funny noises or hard cranking. Cold weather shouldn;t be an issue.

Though it did make for a very cold morning on the deer stand!

quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:
Well, despite some of the recent "freezer test" discussions, my '99 F150 running 5w20 Havoline started up with no protest on Saturday morning at -13 F, no block heater or garage. No funny noises or hard cranking. Cold weather shouldn;t be an issue.

Though it did make for a very cold morning on the deer stand!

Wowie
shocked.gif
Now that is c-c- cold! Good to hear re: the Havoline 5w-20 and those temps.

FYI....when the mercury dips below zero F, you'll not find me in a deer stand unless it is heated! LOL

Mikep

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Mike, mine does this too except when I slap in some fuel system cleaner...I'm attributing it to either a stuck or worn valve or lifter which the f.s. cleaner is freeing and lubricating. Try some f.s. cleaner and/or Lucas f.s. cleaner/upper cylinder lube...

Very interesting Dr. T. I do use Techron but only once per OCI, usually a week or two prior to a change. I may have to consider trying FP as an ongoing routine during the winter months. Thanks for the tip.

Slalom44.....I doubt the problem can be attributed to any filter as the truck has exhibited the noise with more than one brand. K&N Gold, Motorcraft FL-820s, Supertech ST2 and Amsoil SDF-11. I've not run a Wix or Hastings over the winter months but I would suspect it wouldn't make much difference. I don't doubt that it is possible for a filter to help minimize the noise. In that case I would think a Motorcraft FL-820s would be best but that is purely a guess based on Motorcraft being a Ford designed and specified filter.

I've tried a number of different motor oil/filter combos and from what I can recall there hasn't been any single combo where the noise didn't happen. There have been some that were much worse than others (most notably the Mobil 1 / K&N combo) but never have I been able to completely eradicate the noise. I'm beginning to think it simply will be a fact of life and the best I can hope is to minimize it. If Chevron Supreme does at least as good as the Motorcraft 5w-20 that will be good enough for me.

Mikep

I'm currently running Havoline 5W-30 conventional oil in my 98 chevy 5.7L and as far as I can tell, its still pretty quiet at startup and after its warmed up. A big improvement over the Mobil 1 I was using.

Wayne

What grade Mobil1 were you using?

By the way 4.6 engines are always supposed to use 5w30 as the timing chain tensioners are pressurized by oil pressure.

This morning when I started my F150 (4.2L V6), it ticked for a good 20-30 seconds on some fresh (changed oil on Friday) 5w-30 Penz. The only other time I've heard this was with 10w-30 M1, but that only for about 2 or 3 seconds and it went away as oil circulated through the head. M1 5w-30 never made this noise. The only reason I'm running Penz is because I'm on the rinse phase of an AutoRX treatment. After I rinse, I'll be back on M1.

PS - its currently about 25 degrees here. And I'm running the same filter I always do, a Motorcraft FS400A.

[ November 11, 2003, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: crashz ]

quote:

Originally posted by dickwells:

By the way 4.6 engines are always supposed to use 5w30 as the timing chain tensioners are pressurized by oil pressure.

From 2001 and up ford specs 5w-20 for those engines.

Mikep

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:

quote:

Originally posted by dickwells:

From 2001 and up ford specs 5w-20 for those engines.

Mikep

And to further those comments, Ford has released a TSB which discusses which older (pre 2001) engines may also use 5w20. As I recall, nearly every 4.6l application is included on the list of engines where the use of 5w20 is approved and recommended.

Let's just say I was happy to bag my deer early in the season this year. Of course, its warmed up nicely since opening weekend... figures!

After going with a 10W-40 Chevron from my trip to the Georgia Islands with 80F weather, the temps got into the teens last week, so I decided to drop to 5W-30 because it was that cold.
I am now noticing a valvetrain noise that I never had, the temps are in the 40's and 50's now, so I'm thinking to go back to 10w-30 for the winter.

Admitedly, this forum has shown me the error of my ways. I've been using Valvoline products in my Volvo for the past 5yrs and I've just returned from Wal*Mart with 5qts of Chevron Supreme 10W30. Fortunatly, the Valvoline has never stayed in my engine for more than 3000mi, so I think my engine is safe.
wink.gif
As a final salute to Valvoline, I'll be sending in a sample to Blackstone for a UOA(Maxlife 10W30). I can only hope that I will be as satisfied with this switch as most others have been on this board.

quote:

Originally posted by Volkster:
Admitedly, this forum has shown me the error of my ways. I've been using Valvoline products in my Volvo for the past 5yrs and I've just returned from Wal*Mart with 5qts of Chevron Supreme 10W30. Fortunatly, the Valvoline has never stayed in my engine for more than 3000mi, so I think my engine is safe.
wink.gif
As a final salute to Valvoline, I'll be sending in a sample to Blackstone for a UOA(Maxlife 10W30). I can only hope that I will be as satisfied with this switch as most others have been on this board.

i'm new here, but what wrong with using Valvoline?

my ford 4.6L doesn't like mobil drive clean, it likes penz dino better, I use 5w30 in winter, 10w30 the rest of the time. it burns less oil with the penz, about 1/2 as much compared to mobil
it has 154,000 miles on it now,, can't really say it makes less niose at start up thou with the penz. it makes a weird noise on start up sometimes, a odd tick which can be there for up to a minute, unsure what the niose is, but you hear it best with your head in front wheel well, not when the hood is open and your over the engine

[ November 16, 2003, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: MillerMan ]

quote:

i'm new here, but what wrong with using Valvoline?

First of all.....
welcome.gif
I'm kind of new here as well and the info I've found so far has been enlightening. Try a search in the VOA section, its all there in black & white. From what I've gathered, Valvoline could be considered adequate, but far from stelar. I started by using Durablend in my Volvo and eventually switched over to Maxlife when it first came out. I've never really had a problem with Valvoline products, but then again I've never really looked at lubricants too in depth until I came here. What it comes down to is if I can get a proven better product for less $$, I'm gonna jump on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back