First coat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Production date of my new Avalon is 10/11/12.
I'm thinking Klasse AIO followed by a layer of Collinite 845.

My question is how soon? Is that a decent plan?
Color is Pearl White.

Thanks - I'm not very knowledgeable about paint care and products. Please suggest if you have thoughts.

Most auto body shops will tell you a minimum of 30 days if it's warm outside. Seeing as how it's fall, you might want to wait longer. I'd do it right before the first snow, if you can...but maybe do it in a warm garage or on a sunny day or you'll have sore arms.

Consider using Klasse SG instead of the 845 -- stellar product.

Brand new cars don't need a waiting period. Paint jobs are baked at the factory. You can wax/seal right away. The products you have are fine.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
Brand new cars don't need a waiting period. Paint jobs are baked at the factory. You can wax/seal right away. The products you have are fine.
thank goodness you posted this first. I can't believe people don't realize factory paint is baked on and ready for wax/sealant. It is not like the factory ships the car to the dealer in raw steel ready to be painted...Jeez Louise...

Thanks, guys. Wash and wax right after church tomorrow morning.
Dan - I used that SG on my dark blue Jetta and was really disappointed. Maybe it will be good on a light color.

No need for a waiting period. The only suggestion I have is clay the car first. Even new cars need clay to remove rail dust, etc. Your product selection is fine.

Six months minimum, with our temperature range. I have no access to a heated garage.
Protection rather than luster. The color is a pearl white, so I don't know how glossy it will get.

Collinite 845 is probably the easiest stuff to work with, IMO. And it lasts a really long time. Definitely clay the car first. If it has alot of iron from rail dust, you can try Iron X.

Originally Posted By: bobbob
I spoke to the people at Autopia and I was told if you can see
the Klasse you are putting on you are using too much. Thin is
better.

That may have been the problem.
I'll clay, AIO, and then the Klasse sealer -thin, as you say.
dparm said I may need a few coats to achieve the desired result. I have the stuff, so might as well give it a try, correctly.

Washed it, clay bar, Klasse AIO, and then a coat of sealer and I was disappointed. Put the second coat of Klasse sealer on (thin as directed) and the luster just jumped out. Terrific, as you said.
Got too cold and dark for the third coat, so I'll do it tomorrow.

Guys - thanks for the help, it looks gorgeous.

Leon - micro fiber towels and applicators !! You are 'Da Man.

The sealants I've used in the past takes some time to cure. Sometimes they may not look impressive when you first apply them, but give it ~24 hours and you'll notice a dramatic difference.

I put two more coats on yesterday, and it looks like the pictures in the ads.
I'm sold.
Thanks to all.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
The sealants I've used in the past takes some time to cure. Sometimes they may not look impressive when you first apply them, but give it ~24 hours and you'll notice a dramatic difference.

+1 because sealants dont let the paint "breathe" as well as carnubas, I typically wait 24 hours until I apply another coat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back