first change today

Status
Not open for further replies.
changed the oil and filter in the sante fe today. 1,042 miles. i think the first scheduled one is at 7,500, 3,000, severe use. {all of us} i believe in doing the first one early. drained oil came out very dark and thin. {surprise!} i think they come w/ a 5-20 as factory fill. used a new purolator filter, and pennzoil 5-30 conventional. lots of gold streaks in the old oil as well, which was expected. didn't really feel seat o' the pants diff, but sure made me feel better. does anyone know what hyundai uses as a factory fill for these, brand wise? i'd like to keep the same in it, even if i need to take my own oil along when it's time for it's dealership change. the manual calls for 5w20's 5w30's preferred, and 10w30 acceptable. thanks

New SCION tC, first OC was 1k miles.
Second one today @ 3k miles,
At 5k MIles, I will switch to M1 and go for 3k mile OCIs,
New cars are fun!

Scott

I would imagine if the motor was built in Korea, Hyundai uses a domestic Korean brand - SK or S-Oil. For U.S. built engines, Nippon Oil supplies Honda, Hyundai, and Toyota. In the matter of the "gold streaks", my first UOA (2nd oil change, 2,400 miles on that drained sample) on my 2.7L V6 showed 126 ppm copper. At 18,000 miles, the most recent UOA (posted here) is showing 12 ppm copper. I suspect that Hyundai, like Honda, uses a sacrificial layer of copper on the cam lobes as a break-in aid.

You sure its Nippon Oil? Last time I heard, Hyundai was using Castrol.

Penzdude, for the sake of the warranty, why not use geniune Hyundai oil filter? Remember to save all the reciepts on oils and stuff.

Hyundai is very very very touchy when it comes to warranty claims.

ray, korean, thanks...this was all of a sudden turning into a ramp thread, lol. yeah i have heard about hyundai and the strictness of their warranties. i don't think they can monk with ya as long as your using a top grade direct cross referenced filter though. to avoid needless hassles though, i'll probably put on a hyundai before i get it in for it's first dealer change, without mentioning anything about me performing my own at a hair over 1000mi. ray, yeah this motor is the 2.7 as well. surprisingly peppy, w/ a nice growl when pushed. very quiet idling, and when normaly driven. good milage it seems, well, at least compared to the 4.3 chev blazer we had anyways. i have heard that these motors gain fuel milage by several mpg when broken in fully?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back