First Car to Wear Porsche Badge Going to Sotheby's Auction

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be posted on the wrong forum, but wasn't sure where else it might belong.
It regards the first automobile to display the Porsche Badge. It was an experimental model designed by Ferry Porsche in 1939, and is known as the Porsche Type 64. The article has a couple of nice photos of the car too. It can be yours in August if you have $20 million plus to offer at the RM Sotheby Auction in Monterey California.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why...ealtors-2019-5?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1

I'll take Italian "con Brio" over Glorified Beetle architecture.

The intermediate shaft bearing design issue sure has driven 996 prices into the dirt if you always wanted one though.

Very cool. I noticed in the photos that wearing socks with sandals was in vogue back then and the kids walking around barefoot.

Interesting history and great vintage photos.

The 2nd owner acquired this in 1997 when classic car prices were still barely out of the 1995-1996 bottom. So no doubt they got it at a great price. The 3rd owner apparently bought this in the 2007-2009 period, after the massive run up in prices from 1997-2007. A pretty good move by the 2nd owner. Will be interesting to see if it approaches anywhere near the $20 MILL mark.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

The intermediate shaft bearing design issue sure has driven 996 prices into the dirt if you always wanted one though.

I wish someone could have told us this in 2001
smile.gif

Prices for top condition and low mileage 996's are on the rise, have been for a little while. 986's still lag except for premium S's. The market is reflecting the IMS/RMS fixes, but they still present a great bargain in performance and overall build quality.

Back on topic, this car is fascinating. Interesting mix of cutting edge (then) and traditional tech. Glad to not see many swing axles today though...

Originally Posted by eight88
It can be yours in August if you have $20 million plus to offer at the RM Sotheby Auction in Monterey California.

I'd never get out of the low 5 figures for that heap.

I'm just not that nostalgic.

I wonder how much it will bring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back