Firestone recommends new tires after 5 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes all the tire shops recommend 5 years max due to liability. Depending on the tire brand/quality and the life it has lived, you could still have safe tires at 5 years or you could be on dangerous tires in 3 years. So many variables. If the tread lasts a long time, I usually replace at 7 years... my vehicles live a pretty easy life.

Got a truck in storage with BFG A/T KO's made in 2013 with a lot of tread yet. Should get a pic to see how bad the dry rot is.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Recommended a set of Primewells ......

RUN AWAY!!

I have NOTHING good to say about those Indonesian made tires. NOTHING.

FWIW: I have 3 years and 30K miles on a set of Continental Pure Contact tires (Grand Touring - All Season) that are rated for 70K miles. I rotate/balance and do a 4-wheel alignment every ~6K miles or so and always run 35PSI. I don't track my car, drive a mix of city/highway miles and I have pretty even tire wear. I'm almost at the wear bars and have gotten the "you need to start thinking about tires" from my friendly FireStone store where I do my tire/brake business. I'd be lucky if I can get another 10K out of them so I'll likely get new tires before next winter which would be about 4 years and just under 40K miles with my current wear rate. They drive great and have little tire noise (slightly louder now than when new).

I'm disappointed that I didn't/won't get at least 55K miles out of these 70K mile tire but I need to look into the wear pro-rating if I go with the same tires (thinking about Pirelli P7 Cinturato next go around).

High mileage tread life claims by the tire manufacturers seem to be a bit of a sham!

Last edited:
I just bought a 2016 ram that had just had a 'new' set of Goodyears installed by the dealer. Date code was for 2014.. They were definitely new, but must have been some old stock. I figure I'll change them when they are 10 yrs old if I don't wear them out before then.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
When is Firestone going to quit playing CYA and build a quality tire?

For SUVs and Trucks the Destination "LE" and "AT" are highly regarded. So they make decent tires for some applications.

There car tires are crap.

Originally Posted by Tdog02
I remember being a broke teenager driving on maypops because they still had tread. In all my life I have never had a blow out, just some road hazard flats.

The 5 year thing makes me scratch my head sometimes. I get it, good tires can keep a car on the road instead of heading for the ditch. Date codes, wear bars, can't patch or plug if it's too close to the shoulder... frustrating sometimes, until you realize what we ask that tire to do for us. Sustained speeds, stopping a heavy vehicle safely, traveling through inclement weather. Serious business once you think about it and the lives at stake in your vehicle. My family means a lot more to me than a few dollars for a set of tires.

I thought the same thing about the "best looking oil bottle" thread.........recently.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
FWIW: I have 3 years and 30K miles on a set of Continental Pure Contact tires (Grand Touring - All Season) that are rated for 70K miles. I rotate/balance and do a 4-wheel alignment every ~6K miles or so and always run 35PSI. I don't track my car, drive a mix of city/highway miles and I have pretty even tire wear. I'm almost at the wear bars and have gotten the "you need to start thinking about tires" from my friendly FireStone store where I do my tire/brake business. I'd be lucky if I can get another 10K out of them so I'll likely get new tires before next winter which would be about 4 years and just under 40K miles with my current wear rate. They drive great and have little tire noise (slightly louder now than when new).

I'm disappointed that I didn't/won't get at least 55K miles out of these 70K mile tire but I need to look into the wear pro-rating if I go with the same tires (thinking about Pirelli P7 Cinturato next go around).

High mileage tread life claims by the tire manufacturers seem to be a bit of a sham!

I have the same tires for my Corolla, about to swap them back on from the Winters. They have 52510 miles on them and an even 4.5-5/32" of tread. I was thinking of buying them again, but the newest iteration of PureContacts don't come in my tire size. Considering replacing them instead of swapping them back on. Decision depends on some possible family commute changes.

Not doubting your experience. It just goes to show some vehicles are easier on tires than other, sometimes the same kind of vehicle.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Originally Posted by WhizkidTN

I have the same tires for my Corolla, about to swap them back on from the Winters. They have 52510 miles on them and an even 4.5-5/32" of tread. I was thinking of buying them again, but the newest iteration of PureContacts don't come in my tire size. Considering replacing them instead of swapping them back on. Decision depends on some possible family commute changes.

Not doubting your experience. It just goes to show some vehicles are easier on tires than other, sometimes the same kind of vehicle.

Good to know! I guess the YMMV applies here... IDK.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Sure, they are in the tire business. Surprised they didn't tell you 3 years.

This is what they are working at. Next thing they will involve our friends from above and they will make it mandatory in the name of safety.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back