Firestone recommends new tires after 5 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't brought in my wife's 2002 Civic LX for the courtesy alignment check in years with the lifetime alignment plan.

So I happened to be near one and decided to go in. After figuring out which phone number used (my cell phone) the service writer found our purchase, asked for the keys, and checked the mileage.

I waited around and the writer must have checked the tire date codes. I know the fronts were Sumitomo HTRs that were installed as a full set in 2008, then rotated to the front around 2013 with new tires. I never had them rotated and the previous front tires with lots of shoulder wear were tossed. I bought a pair of Falkens then, installed in the rear.

So she said the fronts (which I know I bought in 2008) were manufactured 2014. They're slightly cracked and I was planning on replacing them soon even with OK tread. Also said the rears has a 2013 date code (sounds about right) and recommended replacing those too. Recommended a set of Primewells which sold for about $45 each but then recommended a bunch of add ons like warranties. When I asked about maybe getting a pair I was told their policy is a 5 year age limit and they won't even rotate a tire if it's older than that.

I'll probably take it to America's Tire. I had them install a pair when the previous set was 5 years old, and they have a road hazard warranty included. And I'm guessing they'll actually rotate the d tires.

There are those on here who change oil every 3,000 miles because they think their motor will blow up at 100,000 miles if they don't. However-those same BITOG members have no problem running tires that are 10 years old.

If you leave the Bay Area and do high speed driving through the central valley with her Civic I would replace them. If she drives at low speeds-you could wait. However-IMHO I would replace all 4.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
When is Firestone going to quit playing CYA and build a quality tire?

Industry as a whole recommends replacement at 5 yrs. I've been aware of this for at least 20 years.

Last edited:
I just break down tire purchasing into a per/year number to justify replacing them before they get too old.

Even a $750 set over 5 years is just $150/year. That's nothing.

I would replace tires at the first sign of cracking/dry rot. In my experience, it is usually worse on the inside of the tire than the outside. I am not sure 5 years would be my limit. At 10, i would replace for sure. I have some 6 year old Falken's on my rx7 that look perfectly fine and probably have 25k miles tread life left. I am probably going to move them to the track car, burn them out and put a new set on the street car soonish before they do show signs of dry rot. But I do not have any qualms taking these tires to 90-110 mph (speed rating V or 149 mph) or driving them on a long trip at this time.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
their policy is a 5 year age limit and they won't even rotate a tire if it's older than that.
Costco said the same.

Originally Posted by thrace
their policy is a 5 year age limit and they won't even rotate a tire if it's older than that.
Costco said the same.

Daimler spearheaded this as well - they recommended tires to be changed every 5 years regardless of wear/tread depth. DOT allows 10-year tire life cycles.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Industry as a whole recommends replacement at 5 yrs. I've been aware of this for at least 20 years.

+1 on that !!

One can stretch it up to 6 from manufacturing date, but I'd not go beyond that, after all it's my life riding on them.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Michelin Canada says after 5 years, INSPECT yearly. At 10 years, REPLACE.

Inspect for what? How can you tell dry rot by looking at it? I've never heard this one.
I've heard inspect visually for damage & blemishes yearly and replace at 5/6 yrs from manufacturing.
Of course everyone is free to do as one choses.

If they aren't visibly damaged, I would swap the fronts and rears to put the theoretically weaker tire on the rear. I know that goes against the rule of stickier tires on the rear of a FWD car to prevent oversteer, but you live in SF.

If you live in a high UV area and your tires are not cracking or dry rotted, they are probably OK. I know my snowies are from 2008 and I think my AS summer tires are around that age, too. I take corners pretty fast and generally drove pretty aggressively in the city until my trans went into limp mode a few weeks ago.

There was a thread a month or so ago that studied five year old worn snow tires v brand new ones and I think the difference was 5-10% grip.

If tires aged out date codes would be checked during safety inspections. You can bet the tire companies would lobby the government to include them in safety inspections to sell more tires if old tires were unsafe. The problem is there is no proof that age alone makes tires more dangerous.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Michelin Canada says after 5 years, INSPECT yearly. At 10 years, REPLACE.

My tires don't seem to last this long anyway, but it sounds reasonable. Being in a cooler New England climate, away from city pollution, I can't imagine tires not lasting more than five years.

When I asked about maybe getting a pair I was told their policy is a 5 year age limit and they won't even rotate a tire if it's older than that.

I'll probably take it to America's Tire. I had them install a pair when the previous set was 5 years old, and they have a road hazard warranty included. And I'm guessing they'll actually rotate the d tires.

That's another way of saying "we don't want your business." I had a Merchant's Tire & Auto try that "we won't ... until you buy new tires" thing on me. The won't was fix the mistakes they had just made the vehicle the day before. That did not end well for them. I ended up with a full refund, and a new set of Michelins from their competitor across the street.

Just found this: https://www.firestonetire.com/content/dam/bst/PDF/US Warranty Details_Effective 01012019.pdf

"After the free tire replacement period, coverage ex-tends up to (a) 5 years from the date of purchase—proof of purchase date required, or (b) 6 years from the date of tire manufacture without proof of purchase date."

Nothing about tire age versus free rotation, but it sounds like she shouldn't be refusing service based on tire code dates until 6 years, not 5. Of course local shops can set their own policies, but I would still complain to Firestone about this shop. Or, just go elsewhere.

For SUVs and Trucks the Destination "LE" and "AT" are highly regarded. So they make decent tires for some applications.

I remember being a broke teenager driving on maypops because they still had tread. In all my life I have never had a blow out, just some road hazard flats.

The 5 year thing makes me scratch my head sometimes. I get it, good tires can keep a car on the road instead of heading for the ditch. Date codes, wear bars, can't patch or plug if it's too close to the shoulder... frustrating sometimes, until you realize what we ask that tire to do for us. Sustained speeds, stopping a heavy vehicle safely, traveling through inclement weather. Serious business once you think about it and the lives at stake in your vehicle. My family means a lot more to me than a few dollars for a set of tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back