Firefox and ad/spyware

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember not that long ago people bragging about Firefox not getting ad/spyware and it was rare when you did. Is it just me or is Firefox now getting ad/spyware more then ever now?

The only "spyware" I've ever gotten with Firefox is tracking cookies, which really can't be stopped automatically, however you can add the addresses to your banned list.

What spyware are you getting and how do you know it's there?

I posted an article in the thread I started that claimed these ******** that write this spyware software are now doing it for the Mozilla based browsers cause so many people are using them. All the top rated ani-spyware software makers have annoucned updated versions that will be compatable with Mozilla. Man, the internet was nice in it's infancy when there was hardly any worries and everything was free.

Yes, I remember those days, if you got a virus it wouldn't be from the internet. You could do searches for the exact relating words on the pages.

I wouldn't be surprised if some comes and says the anti-spyware companies are spnsoring the mal-code writers. Yesterday I got my first pop-ad on Firefox.

quote:

Originally posted by norwegian oil:

quote:

Originally posted by simple_gifts:
The problem is Windows, people.....

And the solution can be Linux OS and Opera browser, people...

And how compatible is that gonna be with everything I have to do for work and school etc.? I wish I was more enthused about computers and technology but for me it's a necessary evil I have to put up with everyday.

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
if we all used linux they'd write spyware and viruses for it too.

MS spent $$$ tieing IE into the OS and now they've blown their foot off. Since they are coupled so closely, every website you go to functionally has the ability to install software onto your machine.

This is not the case with linux. Virus/malware writers could not utilize the same techniques to compromise machines running linux macosx etc as these OS's don't suffer from the same abyssmal design decisions. Attacks would have to be directed at the services running on the machine and the exploits associated with them, and since Linux has a packet filter built in, blocking these types of attacks is easy

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/12/11/microsoft_running_on_microsoft_again/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/08/27/windowsupdate_on_linux_an_urban/

It's not only about the # of people using Windows, it is also about the ease that it is exploited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back