FireFox 1.5 Users: some Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have the 1.0.7 version of FireFox, and am thinking of getting 1.5, and as usual, have some questions:

1) What advantages are there in 1.5? is it really worth to go to 1.5 from the previous (1.0.7)?

2) Was the transition smooth and trouble-free? (carrying of bookmarks and extensions etc?)

3) Any (-) points about the 1.5?

4) Anything else (bugs, etc) I should know?

Thanks, guys.

EDIT: I just read the topics and discussion on the FireFox forums, and a lot of people are having prob's after getting v 1.5, it seems. Several were trying to find out how to DOWNgrade to 1.0.7 they had before...this kind of discourages me now
frown.gif

[ January 20, 2006, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: 97tbird ]

I've been using 1.5 for about a month. The upgrade was seemless. Everything carried over just fine and I've had no problems with the new version. I understand that one of the benefits to 1.5 is that updates are smaller and faster, but I have yet to see an update available. I don't see any downside, but I don't use the extensions very heavily, although I do have some themes. Most of those carried over just fine. The ones that didn't were updated within a few days. I do understand there are some issues with some of the extensions, though.

I made the upgrade to 1.5. It included a fix to the search feature plus Tools/Options menu was reorganized.

No problems with upgrade. As Matt mentions, some users will have trouble with Extensions as they aren't updated to work with 1.5.

Here's what Firefox claims are the benefits of 1.5:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Thanks for the info guys.

I also read that once version 2.0 comes out in June, all versions previous to 1.5 will no longer be supported for updates, etc...which means the 1.0.7 will be useless anyway...

I'm just scared to go to 1.5...extensions don't matter to me much..I only have like 3-4..people losing bookmarks, and crashes and having to run in safe modes and pics not viewable etc is what's scaring me...

I wish thay would make it backwards compatible (it's not, is it ??), so people having trouble can go back to the previous version they were using in case the newer version doesn't work.

1) The tabs can be moved around and organized to your liking which I like. They re-did the options section as well so that looks different.

2)Bookmarks transfer over easily as they do in all mozilla based browsers i.e. netscape since its just the one file. Extensions are more of an issue. i have 10 or so extensions I use and most did not have updates readily available and listed on the Mozilla site Turned out that most had updates available but they weren't listed in Mozilla's extension section so I had to find them else where.

3)I've seen one negative thing which is probably just specific to me regarding the HP Web jetadmin console where it seems to crash every other time I start it up since the switch to 1.5 but unless you're a computer tech that shouldn't be a concern

4)No major ones that i know of but I'm sure there are.

quote:

I wish thay would make it backwards compatible (it's not, is it ??), so people having trouble can go back to the previous version they were using in case the newer version doesn't work

Just make sure to make a backup copy of your bookmarks before you upgrade it and you will be covered in case of a problem.

quote:

How does one back-up bookmarks?

well the file in question is "bookmarks.html" and its the same file whether you use Windows or Linux. Assuming that you are using Windows 2000 or XP the path will be something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\r0ygacnu.default\

The reference is whatever name you use on the PC and folder name after Profiles will vary in name but have the same contents.

Just copy the bookmarks.html file to another directory prior to the upgrade and they will be safe from harm.

I never played much with the older version of Firefox.

Go to www.getfirefox.com and click on the link to extensions, then click on Firefox add-ons and take a gander at some of the options you have to make Firefox a more useful browser. Like I said, not sure about the older version of Firefox, but 1.5 has some nifty new toys.

Most of them were available for 1.0.x as well but were just updated for 1.5. Unfortunately not all the updates made it to Mozilla's extension site right away if at all. Overall its a very good browser. i've been able to get it on some user's desktops due to vision issues.

I have been using 1.5 since roll-out. First with ME now with 2000. My early gripe - very few extensions - like the part type "developers" were caught flat footed.

Now it seems all but a few extensions have migrated.

Obviously extensions are part of my life.
smile.gif

No real problems encountered - seems better built for 2000!

ME!!!
shocked.gif

Windows ME is the single worst OS Microsft ever released. It was a stop-gap between Windows 98 and XP before they combined the home and business OS. It was put out as an afterthought to coincide with the release of Windows 2000 (NT 5.0) where most of their effort went to. XP is only a modified version of 2000 (NT 5.1). No one should use Windows ME for anything.

OK I'll get off my geek soap box now.
smile.gif

ME ran rock solid for me for over 5 years. I refuse to actually pay MS a fee for their mistake fixes. Check my past posts, I was an anachronism, what can I say. Throw verbal rocks, laugh, what ever. Rarely crashed, still compatible...but alas MS pretty much gave us free riders the unspoken fert in our general direction!

PS and I own 200 shares of MS!!!

2000 works fine too. But I build decent computers....
smile.gif
PS The secret seems to be good hardware and better drivers.

Love HP hardware, hate their drivers!

PS You don't know how fast I dumped IE for FF!!!

yes 2000 and XP are the best operating systems that Microsoft has made. XP has a much better graphical subsystem which makes it much better for multimedia applications.

Don't worry too much about seeing people with problems on support forums. There are millions of people using problems and your seeing the few that are having problems. You just don't hear about the people without any problems.

-T

Upgraded to to 1.5 on all my machines, no problems at all. Until...

Did anyone receive the 1.5.0.1 update in the past day or two? All my extensions are gone now. No biggie, I just reinstalled them, but it made me wonder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back