Fire Smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you guys in the Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis area are getting smokey skies, the smoke is from the fires north of Edmonton, Alberta. Check out www.firesmoke.ca. Hit Canada Forecast. It includes info down to the 40th parallel in the USA. We are getting totally blanketed in Calgary.

Last edited:
Pray for the people in that area , especially the first responders .

So , I am guessing the wind is blowing mostly south and then shifts to the east ?

Do aircraft have to divert around such smoke ?

Visibility in Calgary is about 300 yards today. You can see smoke between trees a couple of hundred yards away. 10+ on the air quality index.

[Linked Image]

http://airquality.alberta.ca/map/

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Don't breath that garbage...when the AQI here hit the low 200s from fires 100 miles north of me, even staying indoors, I had an unproductive coughing jag that ended up generating an inguinal hernia. If you're at all susceptible to respiratory/lung problems, think "inside and outside the box" in protecting yourself.

Fortunately there's supposed to be a lot of cool and wet weather for the next week or two. Probably not enough to put fires out, but hopefully enough to clear some smoke out of the air.

Two days ago a Winnipeg weather report included haze from the Alberta fires 850 to 900 miles away. The setting sun was a spectacular blood-red disc.

Canada is sending its smoke down my way also, usually we try to send our smoke up north of the boarder! We don't have any fires that I know of at this time, but you guy's have boat loads! Must have got started from those lightning storms a few weeks ago?

I had throat surgery a month and a half ago, I can't smell anything! My brother pointed out the smoke coming from Canada to me, now I see it on occasion blanketing the skies. I'm sure we will have plenty tree BBQ's in a few months down here south of the boarder also. Oh boy, can't wait! My respiratory system is in extremely bad health due to immunotherapy with chronic bronchitis, its going to be a looong indoor summer!

I hope things clear up for you guys up there soon, eh! You guy's have too many trees! Well, you have fewer now! Is Canada The Lumber Capital of the world?

I think the problem is that most of our rain has gone down your way, so everything is extremely dry right now. You're getting floods, we're getting weeks without rain.

No offense, but that looks almost like China! Its been clear here past few days, but the heat is getting turned up. I'm cutting the days short and hiding inside with the A/C on! Above 80F and us N. Idahoan's wilt like un watered flowers. The tourist seem to like the weather though! They are flocking in like snow geese in late fall.

Forecast for Washington State is for thunderstorms. Depending on how dry it is East of the mountains that could start some fires.

It is that time of the year.

Looks much better! Clouds in background appear to be real clouds, not nasty smoke! It was really windy here yesterday, burst's then calm for a minute. Today it rained, and for a short while when I was driving back from Sandpoint it rained and hailed as hard as I have ever seen in my life! Hopefully you got some of that rain up there atleast to cool off the fire fighters, I'm sure the fires up there pretty much just laughed at one day's worth of rain.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Forecast for Washington State is for thunderstorms. Depending on how dry it is East of the mountains that could start some fires.

It is that time of the year.

There are so many dead tree's in the forest that are in accessible to harvest to the public for fire wood that the forestry service recently had a evaluation to have timber sales and actually burn area's that are not able to be logged to clean up the forest of dead tree's, and downed tree's that liter the forest. The amount of fuel in the forest's in the north Idaho area is dangerous. They propose to replant new tree's from some of their tree farms, and some type, lodge pole pine, are stimulated to regrow in single species stands from fires naturally.

There is a protected forest 20 minutes away from my house that has 500 to 1000 year old cedar tree's, the fires of 2015 came close to the protected area. My house that sits 50 feet from a Big river was almost evacuated. Residents 6 miles up the road from me at the Montana boarder were under mandatory evacuation. They say its dry this year, it might be a bad fire year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back