Fire on Bonhomme Richard...

Update this early morning;

At around 2300 last night the ship suddenly shifted its list to port. All firefighting personnel were evacuated off the ship and the pier was evacuated as well as the ship is now leaning heavily on the pier.

Also, the admiral that has been saying that the ship is salvageable and will sail again has changed his tune. He now says it is uncertain if the ship will ever sail again.

Are there any new amphib carriers under construction? If so, maybe the answer is to order another. These things have become VERY valuable with the F-35 and can more frequently operate without the defensive cover of a supercarrier.

Are there any new amphib carriers under construction? If so, maybe the answer is to order another. These things have become VERY valuable with the F-35 and can more frequently operate without the defensive cover of a supercarrier.

I’m not sure. I know they are refitting these older ships to handle the F-35b. The BR had just gotten out of the yard with that particular refit done so it’s a bit of a double whammy. There are ships still in the fleet awaiting the refit. They might bring one out of mothballs in the meantime.

Used to be welded ships had a few rows of rivets , that would allow deck plates to pant in heavy seas. Better to bend than to snap. Maybe metallurgy is better now. But the longer the hull the more they needed to twist. Super heated steel shapes do bad things when hit with water.

I just read an hour old report on the Bonne Homme Richard. The earliest reports are pointing toward poor housekeeping involving debris piles. Welding, burning grinding. Firewatches should be posted. Poor 'yard supervision AND poor naval supervision. I worked for a yr on the Orion, a WWII vintage sub tender getting a floating re-fit. Everyday about 2pm came "Sweepers, sweepers, man your brooms, Give a clean sweep for and aft." The sailors were quartered in a floating barracks towed up from Groton. Housekeeping and proper procedure. Orion was a floating ware house /machine shop. I was staging in the engine room as it was taken apart and put together.

I just read an hour old report on the Bonne Homme Richard. The earliest reports are pointing toward poor housekeeping involving debris piles. Welding, burning grinding. Firewatches should be posted. Poor 'yard supervision AND poor naval supervision. I worked for a yr on the Orion, a WWII vintage sub tender getting a floating re-fit. Everyday about 2pm came "Sweepers, sweepers, man your brooms, Give a clean sweep for and aft." The sailors were quartered in a floating barracks towed up from Groton. Housekeeping and proper procedure. Orion was a floating ware house /machine shop. I was staging in the engine room as it was taken apart and put together.

During the time our Coast Guard ship was in the yards we had a daily sweep and pick up in all areas. Sometimes more often if needed The intent was to keep passageways clear as much as possible. It also kept dirt and dust from accumulating as that would get tracked all over going from work areas to non work areas.

We also had constant fire and security watches throughout the day and all welding activity had a fire watch with extinguisher. At night security watches kept two people busy during their shifts.

During the time our Coast Guard ship was in the yards we had a daily sweep and pick up in all areas. Sometimes more often if needed The intent was to keep passageways clear as much as possible. It also kept dirt and dust from accumulating as that would get tracked all over going from work areas to non work areas.

We also had constant fire and security watches throughout the day and all welding activity had a fire watch with extinguisher. At night security watches kept two people busy during their shifts.
Sweepers, Sweepers. 🗣

I just heard on the news that the fire is out. This is Thursday evening. It's been burning and stinking up this city for almost a week.

Navy to decommission USS Bonhomme Richard...

Eight sailors received meritorious promotions in fighting the fire...

The ship is pretty old and the Navy made the right decision. I hope they put in stricter policies for boats during maintenance so things like this do not happen in the future. The Navy will pull off undamaged specialized equipment off the ship for use on other shops or as spare.

My brother served on the Orion back in the early seventies. Stationed in Charleston at the time.

A few years ago, as a retired Navy Chief, I drove out to Imperial Beach (Coronado) where I took my professional training ("A" School).
While there, went to San Diego and visited the USS Midwauy Museum.
Highly recommended.
My dad was stationed aboard the Midway back in the forties.

Back