Fire and smoke in my truck!

In August my wife bought me a gadget that plugs into a cigarette lighter (power socket) and provides back up power for my cell phone, a flashlight, seat belt cutter, glass breaker and other safety functions. I spend much time on rural roads and she thought this could be a safty device.

Yesterday the cab of my truck was filled with an acrid smoke and I had to pull off the road. The device was emitting smoke and flame!
I burnt my finger (not severely ) removing it from the socket.

I have contacted the US supplier of the product (which cost $50!) But have not received reply.

I feel this thing is a potential safety hazard. How should I proceed?
16042837072122124834287014757370.jpg

Thank you, this is a product from a US company, I guess I should contact both in the US and the ministry of consumer affairs in Canada. I am hoping the company selling these will do a voluntary recall.

I doubt that the company will do a recall. More than likely they'll recall unsold units from retailers and wholesalers. Not sure how the company would contact individual purchasers unless all the sales were by internet sales or mail order.

Here's the CPSC's website https://www.cpsc.gov/

Good luck!

Have you searched for more failures like yours? One malfunction probably won't trigger a recall but certainly report it to the appropriate .gov departments. Glad no damage or serious injury.

If I receive a reply from the company that sold this gadget, what do you think their response will be?
If they want the unit back, should I send it? I would at least want the purchase price back. But more than that, I would hate to think of one of theses things harming someone or causing substantial property damage.

There are other reports of the same failure on Amazon
Quote:
I loved this product and used it daily, but after about 3 months, the product was in my car cigarette lighter charger and started to smell bad. When I pulled it out, it was burning hot and the product had started to melt. I am lucky I was in the car because if this had happened over night, it might have caused a fire-I don't know if it was the product or a problem with my charger but it makes me afraid to use the one I purchased for our other car. End quote.

If I receive a reply from the company that sold this gadget, what do you think their response will be?
If they want the unit back, should I send it? I would at least want the purchase price back. But more than that, I would hate to think of one of theses things harming someone or causing substantial property damage.

Impossible to predict their response but you can expect them to want it for an examination.

They may offer you a freebie/refund ( hard to say) as just a matter of policy given the small cost of the item.

In truth and fairness, the 'cause' has yet to be determined. Could be a defect ( device or your lighter), someone got a drop of Coke in it or 10,000 other things- that would have to be determined before anything else. It may not be the device.

If you send back, document the incident well with pictures at all angles ( clear, detailed and in focus) but do not attempt to open or otherwise examine the device.

Let’s have a company name, product name and country of origin. There is lots of stuff out there that is just junk.

I'm not saying it was made in China, but a lot of gadgets are.

I recently bought a Voltage Meter that plugs into Cigarette Lighter / good for checking Battery and Alternator.
I only plug it in a few minutes at a time in case it could over-heat.

I switch my Dash-Cam OFF when I not driving.

After reading OP experience, everybody should reconsider what they leave plugged-in while vehicle is unoccupied.

Back