Fios Speed Test

Greetings-
Very confused with Verizon Fios. My monthly bill indicates 200/200 Mbps. Speed test on Verzion Fios indicated the 200/200 but the same test on the Verzion business internet site indicated 100/100. Several other sites also tested about 100/100. What's up with this?

Can't reach Fios tech support to resolve. I guess everyone blames the rona for this.

Test on speedtest.net and let us know what it says.
Anything under 200/200 ,means they need to fix it.
I would not use their own servers as the reference.

Home plans are typically stated as "speeds up to x" and not guaranteed.

When you get into a business plan you typically get a lower speed but guaranteed speed, at a much higher price.

Use fast.com to determine speed and understand that on wireless you probably won't get the full amount.

Test on speedtest.net and let us know what it says.
Anything under 200/200 ,means they need to fix it.
I would not use their own servers as the reference.

Bell is brutal in doing this with their fibre service, if you run their speed test it just runs it against the device so you always get "advertised" speed.

Home plans are typically stated as "speeds up to x" and not guaranteed.

When you get into a business plan you typically get a lower speed but guaranteed speed, at a much higher price.

Use fast.com to determine speed and understand that on wireless you probably won't get the full amount.
Got 89 up on fast.com

Bell is brutal in doing this with their fibre service, if you run their speed test it just runs it against the device so you always get "advertised" speed.
I have a local cable company Eastlink, with 150/10 service. They offer 1Gb service. Rarely have issues and it always tests at 150/10, even at peak times.
I do not have the need for a faster service at this time.

You will see varying results, based on your device, the app used and type of connection. For example, with my Cox 150 Mbps service:
- My eero mesh network is reporting 181
- My Pixel 3 is reporting 171
- My Acer Chromebox desktop on WiFi is reporting 126

I have a local cable company Eastlink, with 150/10 service. They offer 1Gb service. Rarely have issues and it always tests at 150/10, even at peak times.
I do not have the need for a faster service at this time.

Very familiar with Eastlink, they serve the periphery of the Kawartha Lakes area, so Ennismore for example, Omeemee...etc.

Maybe try the chat? You might be a victim of one of their famous billing issues.

As much as I dislike dealing with Verizon - their internet speed has always been slightly over what they bill. (at 3 houses now)

Verizon tells me I have the 100 Mbps speed instead of the 200 because the network card in this laptop can't reach that speed.
Was looking for an excuse to buy a new computer. Got it

This Dell laptop has been excellent. I like it because I run Windows Edge and very effective ad blockers are available for it and Chrome. I don't believe an Apple would permit installation of effective ad blockers.

Verizon tells me I have the 100 Mbps speed instead of the 200 because the network card in this laptop can't reach that speed.

This Dell laptop has been excellent. I like it because I run Windows Edge and very effective ad blockers are available for it and Chrome. I don't believe an Apple would permit installation of effective ad blockers.
I run Adblock in Safari on my MacBook, I never see any ads.

All the same browsers work on Mac, I'm writing this from Chrome with UBlock Origin.

All the same browsers work on Mac, I'm writing this from Chrome with UBlock Origin.
Overkill and Skippy- Thanks for the info. I did not know that. I once tried Adblock on my Samsung phone and tablets and it let alot thru. This and all the bloatware on any android device esp Samsung, keeps me on Apple and Windows/Edge. I use ublock origin for Windows and Ghostery for Chrome. Both work well

Why not just update the NIC? Perfectly good machine otherwise it seems.

Back