FIOS repair seems like a downgrade

Had Verizon out to repair FIOS. They replaced the ONT and a new power supply for the ONT. The new power supply for the ONT no longer has a place for a decent size SLA battery. So I will have to buy a UPS. And the battery in the old power supply was mine and fairly new. Verizon took it with the old pieces.

Upgrade or downgrade?

Last edited:
What's the run time with no AC? The new ONT probably doesn't need as much power as the old one (an upgrade since you have to pay for power) and the battery in the new supply is lithium.

Most UPS are very inefficient with no load, and will not give hours of run time with a light load. They're intended to run only long enough to save the files and shut down the computer.

What's the run time with no AC? The new ONT probably doesn't need as much power as the old one (an upgrade since you have to pay for power) and the battery in the new supply is lithium.

Most UPS are very inefficient with no load, and will not give hours of run time with a light load. They're intended to run only long enough to save the files and shut down the computer.

my ups will run my setup for aprox 5-7min gaming, 12-15min idle, and 100+ mins computer off. network gear, nas, modem, router, 24port switch, etc.

I got FiOS in 2000 and my original equipment had a backup battery. The battery was simply to power wired phones in the even of a power outage. I had a land line back then, but ditched it in 2008. The battery in my FiOS box in the garage (ONT is outside) went dead well before a power outage killed to original equipment. My new stuff doesn't have a battery in it.

My old fios equipment had the backup batt... my new equipment has a barrel Jack on the side of the power supply where an external battery source can be plugged in. I dont have telephone just internet so it's no big deal to me..

My old fios equipment had the backup batt... my new equipment has a barrel Jack on the side of the power supply where an external battery source can be plugged in. I dont have telephone just internet so it's no big deal to me..
Never noticed the barrel jack. Sure enough, there it is. Thanks.

my ups will run my setup for aprox 5-7min gaming, 12-15min idle, and 100+ mins computer off. network gear, nas, modem, router, 24port switch, etc.

Yup, I have a few Smart-UPS 1500's that I have running my gear. The one on the network gear will keep it up for a few hours, my desktop has about 45 minutes.

Back