Finding weight of stock wheel

I agree but just get the lightest wheels you can for reasonable money, and be happy you got the best possible result, be it 5, 10 or 15 pounds less per corner.

My oem Ronal 17x 7.5 weighed 24 pounds btw, I got 17x8 weighing 17 pounds now and that"s good enough for me.

Reactions: LDB
In my sedan, which is 3600 lbs (or maybe 3800), I can feel a 5lb difference coming down to 17s from 18s while keeping the same tire width and diameter. tire rack specs said the tire weight did not change between the two sizes. the difference is not earth shattering but is nice.

note - I know you were posting this before. IME handling goes from comfortable to entering sloppy when you hit 70 series tires. 65 is the most I’ve enjoyed, and that needed a +5 psi pressure bump to keep handling response.

i do enjoy a lighter wheel, it does make a difference, and if you have some sidewall in the tire you don’t have to worry as much about bending from pothole damage.

The key isn't saving 10 pounds from 3500. It's saving 10 pounds out of 80-90 pounds of unsprung weight. Makes it much easier to get things rotating and moving which means making it use much less initial fuel. Also helps ride, handling, braking. And the difference in weight of wheels can be surprising. On a prior vehicle it was 8.5 pounds per corner.
Unspung weight helps just a bit on rotation, it is mainly for suspension going up and down.

The "moment of inertia" is what I think you are looking for, and you need to take the diameter of the wheel and how the mass distribute into consideration. No way to easily measure it unless you have some sort of machine.

In my sedan, which is 3600 lbs (or maybe 3800), I can feel a 5lb difference coming down to 17s from 18s while keeping the same tire width and diameter. tire rack specs said the tire weight did not change between the two sizes. the difference is not earth shattering but is nice.

note - I know you were posting this before. IME handling goes from comfortable to entering sloppy when you hit 70 series tires. 65 is the most I’ve enjoyed, and that needed a +5 psi pressure bump to keep handling response.

i do enjoy a lighter wheel, it does make a difference, and if you have some sidewall in the tire you don’t have to worry as much about bending from pothole damage.

The inertia comes down more, the rim of the wheel is 1/2 inch closer to the center, and that's the area you saved the 5lb. I'm not surprised you feel it.

1. Find the Ford part number. Wheel weight will probably be listed.

2. Cut to the chase. Look for exact light weight wheels that fit on your Escape, brand by brand.

I went through this on my 2022 Honda Insight.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

You are correct about un-sprung weight and ride and performance. The old Ford cars from the mid to late 30's used wheels that bolted to the outer part of the brake drum. Also VW's from the 30;s thru 67 used the same idea. The Porsche cars used very light weight wheels also.

did find that the 19" option was 33lb.

I would weigh the stock wheel and tire, subtract the tire and you have it close enough.
+- 1lb is accurate enough IMO.

Otherwise are you chasing running no wheel weights and bald tires to save a couple ounces?

This is an escape not a miata.

Some 16's might fit but maybe those arent any lighter than 17's.

My 2015 forester claimed no 16's fit but the 16" wheels from my 2011 forester with winter tires fit fine.

If its 10lb lighter or 9.5 it will only matter in your head. Then of course you have to decide on durability.
some of the cheaper light aftermarket wheels are fairly fragile.
image_2022-08-19_084251516.jpg

did find that the 19" option was 33lb.

I would weigh the stock wheel and tire, subtract the tire and you have it close enough.
+- 1lb is accurate enough IMO.

Otherwise are you chasing running no wheel weights and bald tires to save a couple ounces?

This is an escape not a miata.

Some 16's might fit but maybe those arent any lighter than 17's.

My 2015 forester claimed no 16's fit but the 16" wheels from my 2011 forester with winter tires fit fine.

If its 10lb lighter or 9.5 it will only matter in your head. Then of course you have to decide on durability.
some of the cheaper light aftermarket wheels are fairly fragile.
View attachment 113172
Aftermarket wheels that are light and cheap usually means casted instead of forged. I'd stay away from those as Rota Slipstream got into a lot of problem a decade or so back.

Back