Finding stations that have ethanol-free gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where one can find gas stations that serve up ethanol-free gas. You know, the gas that's 100% gasoline and contains no ethanol. A coworker mentioned that he saw a that a couple stations in this metro area (Nashville, TN) do indeed sell it.

I've googled, bing'd, asked, and no--Dex doesn't know either...

It would vary by region. In WI, the six counties in the southeast mandate it, and the rest can have whatever they want. So obviously it would be a waste to search around here. I'm not sure if Nashville is the same, but it is a common mandate in metro areas.

Last edited:
I thought EPA mandated ethanol be blended to replace MTBE as oxygenating agent in retail gasoline nationwide? Or is it still at the phase-in stage and only partial around the country?

I don't like it. I want my MTBE gasoline back.

Shell does up here if you use Shell V-Power. Otherwise everything up here has Ethanol in it now.
frown.gif

In Minnesota, you can find non-oxy premium gas at some retailers. The pumps are marked for use in collector cars, off road equipment, etc, thou nobody polices it. The Minnesota Hot Rod Association maintains a list of the places that carry it.

Everything else, statewide is E10. Diesel is B2 statewide for on-road equipment.

Loneranger- there are lots of places that never had MTBE or any oxygenation requirement. Still no mandate that all gasoline nationwide must be oxygenated. Depends on where you are at and the air pollution problems in the area.

All of the Chevron stations around my house are 100% gasoline. The other brands are hit or miss. Although I always fill up at the same 2 stations. One is next to work and one is next to my neighborhood. So I always know where Im going to get gas. If I were you I'd start calling around to find who is selling 100% gas. Find at least 5. Then make 2 or 3 of the closest ones your regular fill up points.

There is a Conoco near my house that advertises 100% gasoline. There is also a pilot that has 110 Octane in a single pump away from the others.

Around here the Valero's are showing 10% ethanol, and the Conoco Phillips just added the sign since thursday. I will look at Chevron, Shell and Texaco tomorrow. I do not want to buy E10, and I hope that I can find some real gas here in the central Texas area.

Originally Posted By: SubyRoo
There is a Conoco near my house that advertises 100% gasoline. There is also a pilot that has 110 Octane in a single pump away from the others.

Pilot used to be owned by Marathon/Ashland, but are now their own selves (Marathon sold out of it). However Pilot Travel Centers are still supplied by Marathon I believe, and all Marathon/Ashland gas is ethanol blended now.

My Subaru, as an engine with large bore + short stroke + high compression (10.1:1) and an aggressive timing map in the ECU, seems fairly sensitive to the quality of gasoline. I've had ping on some tanks of 87 regular and no ping on other tankfuls.

I buy Citgo gasoline in NJ when I go for Oil and Grocery Shopping. I've found that most, not all, have ethanol-free gasoline. This is the only gasoline in the NYC/NJ area that I can find without ethanol. Although they are not considered a top tier gas, by postings of others, I have never had a problem with their gasoline and go out of my way to find it when gas is needed. However, I've had plenty of problems with Mobil, Shell, Sunoco, and Exxon in the past but never Citgo.

I guess it is all individual preference with gasoline. Just before I fill up with regular gas, I add my TC-W3/Techron mix to the tank before the attendant fills the tank. In NJ you can't fill your own tank...it must be filled by the station attendant.

I saw a huge train of freight cars marked "Midwest Ethanol", black tankers heading south towards Curtis Bay in Baltimore the other week, not sure were it goes when it gets there, maybe to a ship docked there. There are a lot of petro storage tanks there also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back