finding coolant leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a leak in my cooling system a 1997 Chevy van, 350 engine. I know it is there, I can smell it and I lose a small amount of coolant. I can only smell it when I have been using the heating system. I took off the cover for the heat exchanger and ran it for a couple of weeks but there is no sign of a leak in the heating coil. I bought the van 6 months ago, any suggestions on finding a leak on this type of vehicle. Thanks
I did see some coolant on the ground once and some on the front of the engine but cannot tell where it was from, I was thinking of replacing all the clamp type hose clamps on the houses with the screw type.

[ September 18, 2004, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: jrc2905 ]

I recently had a simmilar problem with a 96 Chevy. I wrapped some suspect joints with stips of paper towel.

The stayed wet from the seepage long enough that I could tell where it was coming from. Ended up only needed a bit af a tweak on a hose clamp to fix it.

The joints only seeps abit when the engine was hot and being driven and the system under pressure. Pressure testing the engine with a pressure tester didn't find the problem.

Why do you say intake gaskets, I only get it when I use the heat system?

You can get some UV dye for coolant. As far as the UV light goes, the parts stores (Pep Boys is where I've seen both the dye and the light) sell an expensive ($60 or so) UV light, but I got a portable battery-powered fluorescent UV light for $10 off Ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back