Finding an oil that doesnt burn off as fast

I have a turbocharged toyota 5efe in an autoX car that...lets be honest they all burn oil (and leak some) seemingly no matter what you do (new valve seals, etc). Normally I use Mobil 1 in various grades during the year because its cheap and easy to get. Would burn say about a quart per 75-100miles of regular driving and towards the end there I was using 15w50.

I lifted a ringland last year so I prepped and swapped in another motor and decided to make it a point to see if there is a better oil. Started off with the same M1 5w40 and it burned it just the same as usual. Tried Valvoline Euro 5w40 and noticed it was better...about half as much.

Then tried Castrol Edge euro 5w40 and the burning had alarmingly diminished. I had a full on race weekend with 65miles (one way) to and from the location 3 days straight. And I used barely a whole quart of oil for the whole weekend.

Just wanted to share my findings. I haven't used Castrol in 20 years...looks like Ill be a regular user at least for this car.

In all my other vehicles I typically use SuperTech.

I have a turbocharged toyota 5efe in an autoX car that...lets be honest they all burn oil (and leak some) seemingly no matter what you do (new valve seals, etc). Normally I use Mobil 1 in various grades during the year because its cheap and easy to get. Would burn say about a quart per 75-100miles of regular driving and towards the end there I was using 15w50.

I lifted a ringland last year so I prepped and swapped in another motor and decided to make it a point to see if there is a better oil. Started off with the same M1 5w40 and it burned it just the same as usual. Tried Valvoline Euro 5w40 and noticed it was better...about half as much.

Then tried Castrol Edge euro 5w40 and the burning had alarmingly diminished. I had a full on race weekend with 65miles (one way) to and from the location 3 days straight. And I used barely a whole quart of oil for the whole weekend.

Just wanted to share my findings. I haven't used Castrol in 20 years...looks like Ill be a regular user at least for this car.

Castrol Edge 0W40 is big step up from 5W40. Try that too. But availability lately is sketchy.

What if all that has little to do with the oils you used?

I used Castrol conventional oil many years ago in a 1991 Mazda B2200 pickup that burned oil. I found it burned significantly less Castrol than Valvoline.

I think Castrol is good oil just a little too expensive compared to other options I can get these days based on not owning any oil burners other than my Cummins 🤣

Just my $0.02

It sounds like since you autox that you have 2 options either get an Oil Accumulator or change your oil system from wet sump to a dry sump system. Normal driving wet sump, what you are doing, dry sump.

It sounds like since you autox that you have 2 options either get an Oil Accumulator or change your oil system from wet sump to a dry sump system. Normal driving wet sump, what you are doing, dry sump.
Thats primarily if I had trouble maintaining oil pressure. I run a trap door baffled oil pan. I have never had a oil related failure in my 15~ years racing these cars, road race and autox. Even with a stock pan fwiw.

Approvals are minimum requirements not maximum. That doesn’t mean there is no difference between oils with same approvals.
We have discussed this xxxxx times.

Hmmm, I understand the logic. But how do we judge that Castrol 0w40 is better than 5w40 then? I read that "pao" is better, but so is the smaller spread between cold and hot flow 🤔.

Hmmm, I understand the logic. But how do we judge that Castrol 0w40 is better than 5w40 then? I read that "pao" is better, but so is the smaller spread between cold and hot flow 🤔.
Smaller spread all things being equal.
By that theory, 0W40 should have higher Noack, but it doesn’t. Not only that it has lower Noack but KV100 is also higher. Yet 5W40 is almost 11% compared to 9.1% of 0W40.

Smaller spread all things being equal.
By that theory, 0W40 should have higher Noack, but it doesn’t. Not only that it has lower Noack but KV100 is also higher. Yet 5W40 is almost 11% compared to 9.1% of 0W40.

I just looked at Castrol's website, and noack is not listed for neither. Nor is HTHS. 5w40 has a smidge thicker viscosity vs 0w40 and has an extra Renault certification that 0W40 variant lacking. Do you have a link, by any chance, to a discussion on this site with the conclusion that 0W40 is a higher tier product? Or is this just your opinion? Thanks

I just looked at Castrol's website, and noack is not listed for neither. Nor is HTHS. 5w40 has a smidge thicker viscosity vs 0w40 and has an extra Renault certification that 0W40 variant lacking. Do you have a link, by any chance, to a discussion on this site with the conclusion that 0W40 is a higher tier product? Or is this just your opinion? Thanks
Thereare links here in numerous discussions. I am definitely not going to search it for you.
5W40 has lower KV100. You are not looking newest pdf.

Thereare links here in numerous discussions. I am definitely not going to search it for you.
5W40 has lower KV100. You are not looking newest pdf.

If you read my post attentively, you'll notice I said: "I just looked at Castrol's website". If, when you get a chance, you'll go over there to take a look yourself, you will definitely find only one product data sheet for 5w40 and one for 0w40. There are no old and new data sheets in there - you seem to be confused. Those respective data sheets show that 5w40 is definitely a smidge thicker with a definitive extra manufacturer certification vs 0W40

3CED2FF4-FD1A-4F08-9191-5DF01726F7AF.jpeg
7EC79E1F-BD0C-41C3-A3C9-894463CF5D51.jpeg

Back