Finding a Good Diagnostician

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I have a couple of issues I'd like looked at, and I think I need more than having someone check for thrown codes.

What equipment should a shop have for diagnosis of a problem, or seeing if there is a problem? Also, it's my understanding that a good diagnostician is somewhat of a special person, one with some years and experience under their belt and with special training.

How do I find a shop that can handle a complex or subtle diagnosis? What questions should I ask of the shop about equipment they use and the experience and competence of the techs?

Thanks for any advice on this.

What problems are you having. Do you have an OBD2 scanner to check for codes? Have you done any research on the problems that you are having?

What problems are you having. Do you have an OBD2 scanner to check for codes? Have you done any research on the problems that you are having?
There is a subtle roughness at low engine speeds that seems to diminish at higher revs, over about 2200rpm. However, I think the roughness may be masked by the engine rpm. I don't have an OBD scanner, however, I had a trusted shop go through the car, looking for codes and examining systems for problems. No codes turned up, all of the systems they checked were fine. nonetheless, the roughness persists.

I'm planning to put in a new set of plugs, maybe that would help, but I'm not doing the plug change just for this roughness ... it's about time to change 'em regardless. However, I do not want to just throw parts at the problem. I'd like to find someone who can take the time to drive the car, who has some sensitivity to the way an engine should run and sound, and who has the experience, the tools, and the temperament to delve into the issue.

A guy looked at a Ford straight six 300 where the new fuel pump was not pumping. Neither was the old one. They looked identical. Engine had not run in awhile. He concluded that the new fuel pump was not getting released enough so it could never do a fully movement and pump fuel. He loosened the bolts holding in the fuel pump allowing the pump do do a full movement and it starting pumping lots of fuel.

Figuring that out comes from years of experience. I will admit I would not have thought of that.

Would any of you guys figured that out?

Find a local shop that has experience with your particular vehicle and stick with them.
And remember, when diagnosing, it takes what it takes.

Good luck.

Try cleaning the throttle body (manual, with a spray cleaner and a paper towel). No parts req'd, $6 in material, and DIY.
This and a can of fuel injector cleaner smoothed out the idle in a couple of my cars.

This shop is now owned by one of the best diagnosticians in the country. He was ASE master tech of the year in a few years ago. He is well equipped with a scope, pressure transducer, and all of the diagnostic tools you would expect.

This shop is now owned by one of the best diagnosticians in the country. He was ASE master tech of the year in a few years ago. He is well equipped with a scope, pressure transducer, and all of the diagnostic tools you would expect.
Who do I talk to? The location is close enough that I can drive over and talk to someone and take a look at what is offered. Thanks!

Would a scope pick up a purely mechanical issue?
Yes. A good tech can interpret how the pressure in the cylinders change as to a valve sticking or timing problem. He can do an electronic compression test to check for low compression without the hassle of taking out the plugs. Maybe watch some Pine Hollow videos,

Back