Finding a general oil that works in all my vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I am new member of this forum. A big thank you to the admin for accepting my registration.
I see there is a great deal if good information here to learn from
smile.gif

I am hoping to find a good weight of motor oil that will work in all three of my vehicles so I can just purchase a couple of cases of the same grade, some filters and go to town so to speak! I own a 2006 Honda Civic 1.8l, 2004 Toyota 4Runner 4.0l, and a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2l. I realize the Honda calls for a 5w20, but from reading, I could probably get away just fine by using 5w30 oil (please correct me if I'm wrong) the 4Runner calls for 5w30, and the Dodge calls for 10w30 or 10w40. I am curious if there would be any ill effects to any of the vehicles if I were to go with a decent synthetic or synthetic blend 5w30 for all three of them.

although since I get to do the maintenance on everyone's vehicles, my daughters car is a 2006 VW Jetta TDI 1.9l which uses a special 5w40 oil I doubt I can get away with running Rotella T6 5w40 in the Honda! but that's a whole other game. let me know what you guys think

TDI will require a low CA high Mag oil, so pick an oil for that first and then one size fits all down to other vehicles. Yes, by now your honda should accept 30 weight no prob, as you use vehicles the tolerance widens, and that is why nearly every HM oil is thicker. Anyhow, is it that big of deal to have two oil weights in the garage? I mean work on that part of your brain that says I can only do one oil. Maybe 40 weight in the tdi and ram, and 30 weight the other two.

I stay with the recommended oil for the Jetta, I just wasn't sure if the old Dodge would be ok with using 5w oil instead if staying with the 10w. I usually like to pick a weekend and do all three at one time, I was thinking if I could use a single grade oil for the three of mine it would be easier to just pickup one weight of oil, and not have a shelf in the garage with four different types of oils. it would allow me to just keep two, one for the Jetta and one for the rest!

5 is winter rating nothing more, the reason why your truck used that weight was because in those years they didn't care about fuel economy as the main goal. If that same exact truck engine was manu'd today they would most defintely recomend a 5 winter rated oil if not 0.

In relatively south area of TX, I don't think it will matter if you use 10W-30 for all 3 vehicles (not VW).

The need for 5W is due to sub 32F or even 0F winter termperature.

JMHO.

Last edited:
Yeah I hadn't realized it was one of those diesels, so yeah that will work fine in the Ram as well, especially a 90's Ram.

You didnt state your OCI (oil change interval).. if you are doing 5K plus ocis.. I would go with Havoline PRO DS 5w30 boxes and Supertech Filters and not look back on the gassers.

To keep it in the Chevron Family.. go with Delo 5w40 on the diesel. (its cheaper than Rotella).

If you are doing 7500-10K drains go with Fram Ultra Filters..

Originally Posted by Ignatius
Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle 5W-30?
I was just about to post that too. Reading about it, Shell has made it to handle engines (the daughter's VW) that need a little more HTHS, while not being too viscous to work well in all the other vehicles mentioned, in hot TX. Walmart has it from ordering on their website for pickup at the stores.

Originally Posted by paoester
Originally Posted by Ignatius
Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle 5W-30?
I was just about to post that too. Reading about it, Shell has made it to handle engines (the daughter's VW) that need a little more HTHS, while not being too viscous to work well in all the other vehicles mentioned, in hot TX. Walmart has it from ordering on their website for pickup at the stores.

Currently $22.99/gallon from Napa. Just ordered two for a Subaru I'm picking up.

Gas engines 5w30 ..
2006 jetta any 5w40 or 15w40 should work fine in this engine.

If these were mine i would likely go 5w40 in all of them in your climate. ( Just to keep things simple )

Last edited:
Theres quite a few Schaeffers reps around there. Why not buy 5 gallon buckets? Usually at a retailer they're way cheaper than online prices.

Screenshot_20190909-225315_Chrome.jpg

Rotella T6 5-40 in the VW

Everything else gets whatever cheap 5W-30 is on sale. (Harvest King, Traveler, SuperTech)

In Texas you can 5W-30 in everything.... or even 10W-30, honestly.

It really doesn't get that cold in Seguin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back