financial software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,
I have been looking for decent financial software so I can see what is really going on.
I have a good idea now just want to have it all in one picture.

I tried Quicken but seemed to have planned obsolescence. Mint is "free" and am tempted to try it. Has anyone used it?
The reviews look good. I did run across Dave Ramseys software as well.

Thanks.

An alternative to mint is "personal capital". I found it more reliable at sync-ing that mint, which always seemed to have a problem updating my accounts.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
An alternative to mint is "personal capital". I found it more reliable at sync-ing that mint, which always seemed to have a problem updating my accounts.

not heard of that one. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Microsoft Excel.

K.I.S.S!

Dont have it on my laptop....
27.gif

A few years ago, my wife and I were looking for financial software for the business we started. I looked at all the Quickbooks and similar products and thought they were all too unnecessarily complex (not too mention expensive with updates, etc.). I developed several comprehensive spreadsheets using Microsoft Excel that are simple to use. Setting up the spreadsheets would also give you a thorough understanding on how everything works from taxes to payroll, etc.

I use Quicken 2004. It was free and continues to work. I have Quickbooks 2012 but that is for business.

It depends.

Are your personal finances simple and straight forward, or are they fairly complex? Some of the free software (or Excel) might do well if you have simple finances, but if you are managing and tracking your portfolio and investments, have multiple income streams, track cost basis or cap gains, own a business or two, or have other fairly complicated finances then they simply won't work.

budget is fairly simple. 2 incomes, no business.
I have the stuff in my head just want to show the wife what is really going on. one is Dish expense is getting out of hand and want to ax it. she on the other hand..... lol
And in a few days the medical deductible resets back to 0!
crazy.gif

Just remembered I have excel on the old desktop running XP.

We do have 401K's and a mutual fund.

Last edited:
I tried quicken but could never get used to it. Went back to my old standby, an Excell spreadsheet. You can make several tabs and easily track your income, incoming/outgoing bills, investments, passwords for all websites, etc. Super easy way of keeping track of your finances.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I tried quicken but could never get used to it. Went back to my old standby, an Excell spreadsheet. You can make several tabs and easily track your income, incoming/outgoing bills, investments, passwords for all websites, etc. Super easy way of keeping track of your finances.

I see MS has templates on their website, not a guy like to spend time entering info.
Not to sound dumb but do these programs know the deductions like 401K and HSA from our paychecks? What is reflected from the bank deposit is after these are taken out.
I imagine they have to be manually entered.

Excel has to be manually entered. Does take about 15-20 minutes a week to manually update the data, in my case.

I tried excel for several months and it was never as accurate as my spreadsheet is. Would always have to track down inaccuracies and manually update them. Quite a pain.

I may have to trial and error with it and see what works for us.. with Mint you give all your info to them..... kind of nerve racking there.

thanks all.

I use and have been using Kbudget since 2004 and I like it. Sure it hasn't been updated in years but I keep it on a old computer turned into a Vector Linux SOHO machine that is not connected to the web.

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=9755

GnuCash and KMyMoney are two others that are worth taking a look. But KBudget is likely what you want

Originally Posted By: Olas
Microsoft Excel.

K.I.S.S!

But yet Libreoffice. 90% of computers say that computers cant work with out Mircosoft, wrong. I turned in my college papers using OpenOffice and not MS office and the printer nor professors could tell the diffenence

not heard of those, will investigate. I want to see where thee money goes. 401K goes to one place, HSA stay at my work, a bank
all pre tax. Thats a given amount. Pretty much what I have control of is cell phones, Dish, internet.

I use GNUCash and highly recommend it.

It's strict adherence to the double-entry bookkeeping method will frustrate the uninitiated. Truthfully, Quicken uses the same system, but dumbs it down to the point that it's invisible to the user.

If you prefer commercial software (GNUCash is open source), take a look at Money Dance.

Originally Posted By: HardbodyLoyalist

It's strict adherence to the double-entry bookkeeping method will frustrate the uninitiated. Truthfully, Quicken uses the same system, but dumbs it down to the point that it's invisible to the user.

If you prefer commercial software (GNUCash is open source), take a look at Money Dance.

Thanks, I ran across GNUCASH while researching. Caught my eye. too mad MS Money is gone.

Originally Posted By: HardbodyLoyalist

Very good summation. I am trying to get one or both of them running on Linux. The problem is that I have 20 years' of Quicken data that I want to convert, and it just ain't happening.

Importing a QIF or QFX file just doesn't end up with the correct balance.

Quicken is the only thing keeping me from dumping Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back