Finally tinting the Jetta, need suggestions.

Agreed. Topcoat of leather and dashboard already have UV protection. Between that and the glass, any added UV protection is a gimmick at best.

Well, living in Florida I have seen many faded seats / fabric door trim even on cars only a few years old due to sun exposer. The Jetta has black cloth seats so it will show fading easily. The Llumar tint I am selecting does claim to block UV rays and (obviously) filters light so I believe it will in fact help to preserve the interior vs no tint.

Also, being ceramic it will reduce interior heat which has benefit. Our previous Jetta had the headliner fail at 5-6 years old, likely due to excessive interior heat during our summer months. Ceramic tint should help here as well.

Well, living in Florida I have seen many faded seats / fabric door trim even on cars only a few years old due to sun exposer. The Jetta has black cloth seats so it will show fading easily. The Llumar tint I am selecting does claim to block UV rays and (obviously) filters light so I believe it will in fact help to preserve the interior vs no tint.

Also, being ceramic it will reduce interior heat which has benefit. Our previous Jetta had the headliner fail at 5-6 years old, likely due to excessive interior heat during our summer months. Ceramic tint should help here as well.
I think you are making a lot of assumptions based on marketing materials. All 3 of my cars have ceramic tint (3m ceramic IR, Llumar CTX, Autobahn) and there is an immaterial difference in interior heat after the vehicle is parked. If heat is the only reason you are considering tint, you will be sorely disappointed.

I think you are making a lot of assumptions based on marketing materials. All 3 of my cars have ceramic tint (3m ceramic IR, Llumar CTX, Autobahn) and there is an immaterial difference in interior heat after the vehicle is parked. If heat is the only reason you are considering tint, you will be sorely disappointed.
Maybe so. I've heard other real users say the opposite. At any rate I plan on getting a quality tint and if all goes well it should look good.

TUNING? No way!
Don't be scared.

14t_ea211_mqb_s0_vs_s1_91_c.jpg

Maybe so. I've heard other real users say the opposite. At any rate I plan on getting a quality tint and if all goes well it should look good.
When people spend mid-to-high 3 figures for a tint job, they like to tell themselves things.

The reality is, if you are driving down the road with the a/c on and the sun is shining thru the window, a tinted car will have a noticeable reduction in heat....compared to one that is not tinted.

But once that car is parked and the hvac is off, there will be zero difference.

I had the front windows in the old transit done in 3m Crystalline and it made a very noticeable difference in the interior temperature. there is probably as much glass in that window as the entire side of the Jetta.

The Jetta has regular 3m tint that is about 30% (I don't remember exactly but it is supposed to be legal in GA and TN and was done at the dealer) and it doesn't seem to make much difference based on other cars.

I am not having the windshield tinted and that's the only glass with "frit", so that should be a non issue. I think if done properly it can be tasteful, but that is just my opinion.

TUNING? No way!
No adhesion to defrost grid either.

1FFE6302-231C-4A67-8C55-AA736E7F7608.jpeg

Last edited:
that's normal.
It is normal (and ugly). But it's not something the tint guys will tell you until you have paid them $$ and complained about how it looks.

From his postings, gregk24 is particular about his vehicles, so I thought he might want to be aware of this.

Last edited:
It is normal (and ugly). But it's not something the tint guys will tell you until you have paid them $$ and complained about how it looks.

From his postings, gregk24 is particular about his vehicles, so I thought he might want to be aware of this.
Particular indeed. More concerned with seat fabric fade, aesthetics and privacy here.

I got 3M ceramic tint on my cars. I noticed a big difference in my dark interior cars. I can actually touch the steering wheel on a hot summer day in Austin. My shop also has a lifetime warranty, which I used for the back window when it started bubbling up after 10 years.

Back