Finally tinting the Jetta, need suggestions.

Not sure what’s on my wife’s crv, but they did the windshield and it makes it impossible to wear polarized sunglasses in it. Polarized glasses which block horizontally-oriented light waves are incredible at reducing glare. But used in hers, everything turns purple and green. If I drove the car much at all I would ask her if I could rip it out.

I have 35% all around on my BMW. It's enough to make a difference, but not dark enough to get hassled. Helps with the heat in summer, a little more privacy, and also makes a car following with high beams less of an annoyance.

DB725DC9-A603-4A5B-BC40-8C6490005421.jpeg

20% front and 35% rear on top of the factory privacy glass

Rayno Phantom S9 carbon-ceramic

That looks good!

As of now, I am planning on going 30% all around with Llumar IRX. Will post pics when its done! Hope we can still have it done this Friday as there is rain in the forecast.
As long as the installer has a place to work, rain won't have any effect on it being installed. What it will affect is drying time. Usually, you're looking at 2-3 days of not rolling the windows down in order to allow the water to dry out of the film. The colder and wetter it is, the longer it will take for it to dry.

Here is my 19 Jetta that I picked up in Nov '21. 30% tint all around. Provides good privacy and bright light filtering without being too dark at night. I love the tint and the car.

IMG_8198.jpg
IMG_8400.jpg

Our legal limit in IL is 35% all around. While it's the bare min I would do. I honestly like 15-20%.

In the first car I had 35% in front driver/pass and then 20% in the rear doors and 5% on the back glass. 5% on back glass is a bad idea unless you have a rearview camera.

Also, factor in the interior color/dash color can make the car seems brighter or darker. I pulled back the shade from the moonroof if I wanted it to appear a little dark or lighter pending on location.

I never did ceramic tint, mainly because I didn't know it was a thing before like maybe 2 years ago. But I've seen it cost almost double.

Our legal limit in IL is 35% all around. While it's the bare min I would do. I honestly like 15-20%.
Just remember: a 35% legal limit will probably require a 45% or 50% tint. Most glass already has some degree of tint.

Most likely, a 35% film will meter between 25-30% VLT once installed onto a window, so you will be out-of-compliance.

Just remember: a 35% legal limit will probably require a 45% or 50% tint. Most glass already has some degree of tint.

Most likely, a 35% film will meter between 25-30% VLT once installed onto a window, so you will be out-of-compliance.
I don’t think our Jetta has factory “tint”. I could be wrong.

Attachments

• E950AD67-DD49-47E1-B319-5CD3D9424018.jpeg
    E950AD67-DD49-47E1-B319-5CD3D9424018.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 5
And that factory tint filters out UV so you're not helping to preserve the interior by tinting the glass, but you are keeping it cooler and adding some privacy.

And that factory tint filters out UV so you're not helping to preserve the interior by tinting the glass, but you are keeping it cooler and adding some privacy.
Agreed. Topcoat of leather and dashboard already have UV protection. Between that and the glass, any added UV protection is a gimmick at best.

I don't like aftermarket tint. Have never found a shop that could get the tint to stick around the window frit and I think it looks cheap.

That said, @gregk24, I thought the thread title was "Finally TUNING the Jetta, need suggestions" and got excited.

I don't like aftermarket tint. Have never found a shop that could get the tint to stick around the window frit and I think it looks cheap.

That said, @gregk24, I thought the thread title was "Finally TUNING the Jetta, need suggestions" and got excited.

I am not having the windshield tinted and that's the only glass with "frit", so that should be a non issue. I think if done properly it can be tasteful, but that is just my opinion.

TUNING? No way!

Back