Finally tinting the Jetta, need suggestions.

I’ve been wanting to have our VW’s tinted for years now but never got around to it. Finally planning on having it done on my wife’s 2021 Jetta. The business I’m using uses Llumar tint.

They offer basic tint and ceramic. It’s about an $80 difference.

I have a few questions. First, what benefits does ceramic tint have? Does it last longer, repel more heat? Or would I just be paying for the “ceramic” name.

Also, one main reason I’m doing this is because I like the look of tint. Right now the car is a fish bowl, everyone can see right in at a stop light. So, what tint level do you think looks best, while also being functional? Not knowing that it looks like in person, I am thinking 30% all the way around.

Fire away.

Current set up:

Attachments

• 9E798EDD-7A9D-4845-84E2-870800450551.jpeg
    9E798EDD-7A9D-4845-84E2-870800450551.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 33
All that solution running down behind the door panels causing all kinds of electrical problems. All those installers leaning against the paintwork leaving scratches and swirls. I would think twice
Errr, no more damage than water running on the outside of the window, and a good tinter will cause 0 damage to the paint or other parts of the vehicle. If you've had cars tinted and scratched, then you've had your cars tinted by a crap installer. (Source, worked in a tint shop for many years and while I didn't tint, I saw many hundreds or thousands of cars tinted with no scratches and no electrical problems.)

Errr, no more damage than water running on the outside of the window, and a good tinter will cause 0 damage to the paint or other parts of the vehicle. If you've had cars tinted and scratched, then you've had your cars tinted by a crap installer. (Source, worked in a tint shop for many years and while I didn't tint, I saw many hundreds or thousands of cars tinted with no scratches and no electrical problems.)

Good tinters that do windshields use a special soaking rope like thing to soak up water.

Right now the car is a fish bowl, everyone can see right in at a stop light.

Greg, just curious, what's wrong with that?

If you've had cars tinted and scratched, then you've had your cars tinted by a crap installer.

Yes, probably a crap installer. But that doesn't help. These things do happen
from time to time. I had the Mini Cooper roof wrapped (car has a moonroof).
The guy has been standing on the passenger seat with his working boots. It's
pale grey nappa leather.
Let me guess, if I had asked you before if such an incident could happen you
probably would have said the same to me, wouldn't you?

Greg, just curious, what's wrong with that?

Yes, probably a crap installer. But that doesn't help. These things do happen
from time to time. I had the Mini Cooper roof wrapped (car has a moonroof).
The guy has been standing on the passenger seat with his working boots. It's
pale grey nappa leather.
Let me guess, if I had asked you before if such an incident could happen you
probably would have said the same to me, wouldn't you?
Nothing wrong, I just prefer to have more privacy than that. Plus, tint just looks good and extends the life of interior materials.

... tint just looks good ...

Factory tinted glass may look nice (if not too dark). My GTI has that, the Mini
doesn't. Personally I find aftermarket tints cheap looking.

... extends the life of interior materials.

Is there any proof for this? Not just manufacturer's claims. Again, just curious.
Having the car sitting in a garage is probably safest while a big moonroof and
sitting outside in AZ or NM is worst.
European VW customers can spec a heated and heat (IR) and UV absorbing
windshield (350 € option if I remember correctly). I bet it's way more effective
than any tint.

Is there any proof for this? Not just manufacturer's claims. Again, just curious.
Having the car sitting in a garage is probably safest while a big moonroof and
sitting outside in AZ or NM is worst.
European VW customers can spec a heated and heat (IR) and UV absorbing
windshield (350 € option if I remember correctly). I bet it's way more effective
than any tint.

Factory tinted glass is preferred, but this is the next best thing. If installed properly, it looks quite nice.

Proof? I don't have anything I can present to you, but here in Florida you can look through the rear glass of sedans and see faded rear seat headrests. Fading should be reduced if tint were to be applied on the rear glass.

I just double checked, I'd be getting Llumar's IRX line. Thinking 30% at this point.

Go for the ceramic.

But I'm wondering if $80 is really the difference between regular and ceramic tint? Ceramic tint for the Tesla was $600. Plus $250 since I did the glass roof too. Not sure what regular tint would have been.

I have 30% 3M.

Attachments

• 20191017_091538.jpg
    20191017_091538.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200418_131216.jpg
    20200418_131216.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200418_131231.jpg
    20200418_131231.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200421_125832.jpg
    20200421_125832.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 28

I agree. My 1993 S-Class has dark tinted rear windows and rear windshield. Not a fan. It already has double pane windows. Im planning to remove as soon as I have a spare hour...

Maybe when some fancy person was being driven around Manhattan it was useful. Not for me.

I had the 30% Llumar ATR on the focus as well as the CTX 30% front + 50% rear (over factory tint) on the CX5. Ceramic doesn't interfere with wireless signals but I never had an issue with the metallized tints. I don't have a picture of it and it's dark out now. Supposedly Ceramic doesn't have such a shiny gleam to them; looks more like natural factory tints but again I don't stare at my tints much to know.

But overall, pick a well known, trusted, and authorized installer.

Back