Finally Saw M1 0W30 AFE d1G2 at WM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect that this oil may not have been reformulated for d1G2, but I wanted to see the standard on the label before I bought any.
I grabbed a jug to take advantage of a rollback as well as the rebate, not sure I will use if for my next change (in about 1000 miles) or for one after that that will probably span December through February.
I've been doing OK with 5W30s even for my White Mountain ski weekends (I have to park outside), but I have been curious about this 0W30 for a while and decided to go for it. Will end up being just over $10 with the rebate.

I always wanted to try 0w30 but always used 0w20. I think I will try 0w30 this year. I love the AFE line from Mobil. Confident you will be very happy with it!

Last edited:
M1 AFE 0w30 was indeed on the most recent d1g2 approved list. Use it with confidence
thumbsup2.gif

Just curious, what exactly makes M1 AFE a “FE” oil?

Thinner basestock with more VII to achieve temporary shear?

Thinner viscosity at start-up to use less fuel while the engine warms up to operating temperature.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Thinner viscosity at start-up to use less fuel while the engine warms up to operating temperature.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Still waiting for the “loud” experts to explain why this is real … what properties cause something I’ve missed in several decades of use … my dB meter said PP louder was and I still run both …
(Just did oil changes with M1 & PP) …

Running it now in the Lincoln, first time with M1 in a long time. Like it to my surprise, no noise or consumption issues as I have experienced with M1 in the past. Past experience was not AFE though nor was it the same vehicle, which is why I was willing to give it a shot. Glad I did.

It has been my experience some engines will sound different with different oils and some won't care, couple that with some folks are tone deaf and some are not.

Been using this oil since it became available. Used Mobil I since about 1978. No problems what so ever in forty years across Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys and Fords.

How does AFE compare to say AP or EP in terms of overall quality? I’ve been wanting to move the Mazda5 to a 0W-30 and was going to go 5W-30 in EP since that was as close as I could get but the AFE has my attention.

Originally Posted By: PWMDMD
How does AFE compare to say AP or EP in terms of overall quality? I’ve been wanting to move the Mazda5 to a 0W-30 and was going to go 5W-30 in EP since that was as close as I could get but the AFE has my attention.

AFE is excellent oil and has proven to handle extended drains in several UOA's, I like AFE 0W-30 over the rest of Mobil's 5W versions. Has a higher PAO content and lowest pour point which is nice for as cold as it gets here.

Saw d1g2 AFE at Walmart yesterday, however, it was still API SN, ACEA A1/B1, which are both outdated specs. Wonder if and when it will be SN+, A5/B5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back