Finally put the 20w50 in the Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SR5
Hi 19jacobob93,

I remember those AU Falcons when they first came out. I was probably driving a 202 ci Holden Kingswood with Castrol GTX 20W50 in it at the time.

I liked the new Fords, especially the Falcon S with the 5 spd. manual and independent rear suspension. Is this the one you have?

I also liked the earlier EL Falcon, strong yet refined looking.

I recon the valvoline semi-synthetic oils would work great in your car, either the 15w50 Durablend or 20w50 MaxLife. Especially as you can regularly get it on special around here.

It's got to be better than the old 20w50 mineral oil we all use to run.

Cheers,
SR5

Mine is the Forte with the live axel, back end is a bit nervous but they last forever!
But yes both Maxlife and Durablend are very good oils, each about 30-40% synthetic if I remember.
Maxlife has a decent dose of zinc to I believe, but they did take the moly out of it

I ran Penrite 40-70 in my first motorcycle, a Yamaha SR500, all year round. No problem. It used oil on GTX 20W-50, but not on Penrite 40-70.

BTW it's a 40-70, there is no "W" in it, but there is 1450 ppm Zinc in it.

[/quote]
http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Penrite-HPR-50-Engine-Oil-40W-70-5-Litre/1098 [/quote]

Yes I know SuperCheap list it as 40W-70, but if you look at the actual Penrite label on the bottle, there is no "W". Same with the Penrite documentation, no "W".

Check out the HPR 30
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-...Recommendations
It has the W on the label.
Which reminds me, I mostly ran the 20W-60 HPR 30 in my bike, as it did fine.

Cheers

It was zero here this morning, and my BMW is happy on 20/50...good down to -10. It's going below zero tomorrow morning - I've just conned the son in law into letting me take his car to work tomorow so I can do some work on it. I'm getting soft.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
Hi 19jacobob93,

I remember those AU Falcons when they first came out. I was probably driving a 202 ci Holden Kingswood with Castrol GTX 20W50 in it at the time.

I liked the new Fords, especially the Falcon S with the 5 spd. manual and independent rear suspension. Is this the one you have?

I also liked the earlier EL Falcon, strong yet refined looking.

I recon the valvoline semi-synthetic oils would work great in your car, either the 15w50 Durablend or 20w50 MaxLife. Especially as you can regularly get it on special around here.

It's got to be better than the old 20w50 mineral oil we all use to run.

Cheers,
SR5

Mine is the Forte with the live axel, back end is a bit nervous but they last forever!
But yes both Maxlife and Durablend are very good oils, each about 30-40% synthetic if I remember.
Maxlife has a decent dose of zinc to I believe, but they did take the moly out of it

Yep, the live axle should last longer and give you less trouble.
I hear even though they sold IRS V8s, they raced the live axle V8s at Bathurst, as it could go the distance in Group A / V8 Supercar racing.

Yep, also hear that DuraBlend is about 30% synthetic. I like the DuraBlend 10W-40 in my Holden (Opel) Astra.
But a few weeks ago, SuperCheap Auto had a sale on for Valvoline SynPower full synthetics. So I got myself some SynPower 0W-40 (ACEA A3/B4, MB 229.5, Porsche A40) for my next oil change on my 4 cylinder family station wagon, which has a speed limiter (wife) fitted. Just incase I take the wrong turn and find myself on the Mount Panorama circuit.

You never know…...

I ran Penrite 40-70 in my first motorcycle, a Yamaha SR500, all year round. No problem. It used oil on GTX 20W-50, but not on Penrite 40-70.

BTW it's a 40-70, there is no "W" in it, but there is 1450 ppm Zinc in it.

http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Penrite-HPR-50-Engine-Oil-40W-70-5-Litre/1098 [/quote]
Yeah I know just showing the stuff he bought. Probably doesn't have a W because it doesn't have a winter viscosity and isn't meant to be run in winter!

Yes I know SuperCheap list it as 40W-70, but if you look at the actual Penrite label on the bottle, there is no "W". Same with the Penrite documentation, no "W".

Check out the HPR 30
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-...Recommendations
It has the W on the label.
Which reminds me, I mostly ran the 20W-60 HPR 30 in my bike, as it did fine.

Cheers [/quote]

Originally Posted By: Silk
It was zero here this morning, and my BMW is happy on 20/50...good down to -10. It's going below zero tomorrow morning - I've just conned the son in law into letting me take his car to work tomorow so I can do some work on it. I'm getting soft.

That R65 should keep your toes warm.

They used to put them as 30W and 40W, but wered stopped from doing it as there is no "W" grade more than 25W.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
If I ever live in Australia, I am going to run 0w-20 in everything!

It would explode the moment you put the key in the ignition

Sorry that reply went wrong up there ^ haha but yeah a "40w70" doesn't actually have a winter weight because it's quite obviously not intended or recommended for winter temps! So yeah it is written as 40-70.

Hahaha bit extreme but I wouldn't trust it in most engines!
I mean I highly doubt someone in Phoenix, AZ or Miami, FL in the US would run 0w20 in summer, but some probably do

That R65 should keep your toes warm.

Toes warm and dry, but the rest of me struggles more than an engine on 20/50 these mornings. 10.00pm and it's 2c, it'll be -2 in the morning. Taking the '98 Lancer tomorrow - listed as taking 20/50, but I put 10/40 in it.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93

Hahaha bit extreme but I wouldn't trust it in most engines!
I mean I highly doubt someone in Phoenix, AZ or Miami, FL in the US would run 0w20 in summer, but some probably do

Millions of Ford engines racked up > 100K miles, along with Honda engines and Toyota on 20 grade oil. There's nothing wrong with it.

Conversely, I have noticed no difference using 10w-30 on my vehicle specified for 5w-20 other than a bit more noise on startup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back