Finally part of the Jeep family!

Well, after months of daily browsing on FB and CL, I stumbled across a perfect winter beater: a WJ Grand Cherokee!

It's a 2001 with 252k, amazingly low amount of rust for the year, and equipped exactly how I wanted! No power seats, no options at all. It's a Laredo, 4.0 with the NV242. The head gasket, water pump, power steering pump, thermostat housing, rear brake lines and brakes have all been done in the last year. I think it's got a sticky rear caliper, but that's no biggie. Drives laser straight, trans shifts perfectly, and the t-case goes between modes with no fuss. The best part? $400! That's a deal I just couldn't pass up...

I'm truly looking forward to winter this year, I've never owned a Jeep and my last 4x4 was a 1989 F150 back in the early 00's.

Attachments

• Grand Cherokee.jpg
    Grand Cherokee.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 99
Nice. I’ve had my 2003 for 11 years now and have had zero issues. No check engines lights either. Just bought a rusty 2004 for $500 for parts that I may try to drive a bit too.

I think they’re great vehicles and they’re pretty unstoppable in snow too.

Congrats, and Welcome to the Family!
I had that same exact Jeep, bought new in the Bright Silver color with the same Wheel combo. Gave it to my younger brother when I bought the Commander. He’s still running around in it!

I have had mine for about 6 years. I love it. I have the 4.7 and a small lift with 31s. It does everything I ask of it.

Attachments

• 20170223_174722.jpg
    20170223_174722.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 25
While you are checking those rear brakes, make sure the pads aren't ready to fall off the backing plates due to rust. It happened to me once, and it's a sudden failure, not good!

Eek...that might have the dreaded "0331" head. (The head gasket kind of concerns me.) Seriously: you should probably have a UOA done to check for coolant!

Nice find. You'll definitely get your monies worth out of that machine.

Small aside, the vehicle itself has a surprisingly small amount to do with how it handles snow. Things like 4WD, weight, and center of gravity help, but it mostly comes down to the part of the vehicle that is actually touching the road.

Good score for $400 bucks. WJ's were one of the first Jeeps marketed at soccer moms successfully, but they are still all real Jeep where it counts.

Thanks everyone! I actually got a chance to put some miles on today and I couldn't find a thing wrong that I didn't already know about. No shakes, no odd vibrations, nothing. Temp gauge stays rock solid at 210 idling and a little less at speed, oil pressure is 40 at hot idle and ~55 at 1500 RPM. I did notice a little tiny intermittent hiccup while idling in gear, I'll check the plugs first but I'm really not worried about it.

I almost think the trans has been gone through at some point, or this truck spent 90% of it's 250k+ miles cruising in OD on the highway. It's so crisp and firm, I just can't believe a 42RE can shift this nice. There is a little belt chirp at startup, I suspect when the PS pump was replaced that the pulley didn't quite get pressed on that last few MM but I'll just leave it alone.

I did notice yesterday when I got her home that the LR wheel was quite hot, although the pads/rotors/lines are brand new. I drove it to work today and ordered calipers, however after driving a bit it seems to be fine. I still plan on taking them apart and checking piston condition and the slides but it may have just been one of those "sat for a while" problems.

Oh! And just to add to the "PRO'S" column, it came with new tabs and a full tank of gas!!

I considered that when we bought the donor for my boss. I figured that if it has not cracked in 18 years it's going to be ok.
That’s my mindset as well. If it was going to be an issue, it would’ve presented itself by now. 250k is pretty good. Plus, Tupy heads are a dime a dozen nowadays. New all the way to junkyard used.

I’m curious as to why the HG was done though? Does the head look new, OP?

That's my worry...the "head gasket" problem actually being a cracked head.

FWIW, one of the best UOA reports Blackstone ever saw in a Jeep 4.0 was mine using QS Defy.

That’s my mindset as well. If it was going to be an issue, it would’ve presented itself by now. 250k is pretty good. Plus, Tupy heads are a dime a dozen nowadays. New all the way to junkyard used.

I’m curious as to why the HG was done though? Does the head look new, OP?

The head looks clean, but not new. I peeked through the oil filler cap to check and see if I could spot the coveted TUPY casting marks but saw none.

I have to say, however, that if the seller drove it all winter through massive (-20 to operating temp) swings that there's no issue with the head. The temp gauge is rock solid both while driving and extended idling. The oil is golden, and the coolant looks and smells fine. Then again, if there is an issue with the head I'm not going to be upset when I get $200 back in scrap for it. I look at this thing as a $400 experiment. Maybe it's successful, maybe it's not. Either way, I'm satisfied.

Back