Finally....no props

I was wondering if anyone was going to create a 'flying car' that didn't require the presence of dangerous and noisy props. This looks pretty cool.

May not be the first, but the first I've seen.

What do you call those then? they appear to be dangerous and you cant tell the noise level.

looks like 4 hvac blowers with adjustable vanes.

This variable vane design has been around for a century and is used in the marine world. It is in fact, a radial version of a helicopter's variable pitch rotor system. What is interesting is that just like a helicopter, it seems there is a point in forward flight where the retreating blades can stall due to forward velocity and the relative wind over the retreating blade.

Put another way 200 mph of forward velocity and retreating blade speed of 200mph means the retreating blade is operating in still air and is therefore useless.

This variable vane design has been around for a century and is used in the marine world. It is in fact, a radial version of a helicopter's variable pitch rotor system. What is interesting is that just like a helicopter, it seems there is a point in forward flight where the retreating blades can stall due to forward velocity and the relative wind over the retreating blade.

Put another way 200 mph of forward velocity and retreating blade speed of 200mph means the retreating blade is operating in still air and is therefore useless.
Yes but then the forward moving blade is going 400 mph so it gains something like four times the lift. You'd be limited to whatever half the critical Mach number of the blades is I guess though there are probably other factors that would put the top speed well below that. I haven't watched the video but if I remember how these work on ships the problem likely becomes getting a forward thrust component to the lift force as the forward velocity increases.

Most (all?) Drones use fixed-pitch blades and use differential thrust to maneuver so these rotors mean an increase in complexity and weight. I don't see what these rotors accomplish that propellers mounted on gimbals wouldn't with a lot less complication.

I wouldn't want to stick my hand into either these or a prop but these do eliminate the portion of the prop blade arc that's going to send a blade through you if a blade fails at the wrong time.

Last edited:
Yes but then the forward moving blade is going 400 mph so it gains something like four times the lift.
The issue is creating sufficient forward thrust. Sure a tilt (done mechanically in the rotor) can create some forward thrust and it will be able to fly on the "wedge" like a helicopter. However, thrust will decrease as speed increases and I would guess such a design would have very limited speed.

Back