Finally found Pennzoil Ultra 5qt and 1qts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Or is it that Walmart is bringing the Pennzoil Ultra back into more stores again?

Unlikely. I have also seen leftover PU at WalMarts, just check the bottling dates, the premo stuff is in at least the 10/14 through 03/14 range, there might be some 04/14 stuff around but I don't think I've seen anything bottled after that.

Hmmmm... All right. Guess that is what I will check on the container I got. Good to learn
smile.gif

Sorry about the dates, the heavy on GTL stuff is in the 10/13 to 4/14 range, the dates are pretty easy to find, they stamp the month in the number sequence and you can figure out the day and year part from there.

I don't have a clue when they actually began having the heavy GTL component, it seems like folks were discussing it here perhaps even a year earlier, because they thought the Noack value was a typo, instead of the sign of a wildly high quality basestock. So even the stuff farther back in 2013, or maybe even somewhere into 2012 will still have the good stuff in there?

Don't know, I didn't get involved in the hoarding until early spring of 2014, and I started slow, took a month of buying before I figured out which bottling dates had the codes under the cap, how to tell if bottles were opened without opening them myself (still wise to watch out for that, because towards the end they just about all were opened).

Hmmmm... I got the Ultra in the black bottle with the Pure Plus blue label on it. So it the natural gas to oil formulation.. Was the noack test high on the natural gas version?

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hmmmm... I got the Ultra in the black bottle with the Pure Plus blue label on it. So it the natural gas to oil formulation.. Was the noack test high on the natural gas version?

You are described Pennzoil Ultra Platinum I believe. It was the replacement for Pennzoil Ultra, which had the heavy dose of GTL, as compared to Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. The replacement doesn't have the outrageously so low they were considered a typo Noack values, Pennzoil apparently cheapened up the quality with the newest stuff. Nothing wrong with PUP or PPPP, it just isn't quite what the PU was.

Exactly spot on there sir
smile.gif
yeah the first incarnation of their Ultra was crazy good. The API SM formulation was just outstanding. The one I got is still really darn good but you are correct in that its not has stout as the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back