Finally Did It - Waited 1 Year For Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: strombony
But hey, you are probably going to dump that car off onto someone else.

Au contraire - I suspect the same psycology that compels folks to leave the oil in their vehicles till they've maxed out it's engineering capabilities also applies to how long they own their vehicles. I'm a long OCI'r and I'm loath to give up my vehciles till I've wrung the life out of them. My best friend is a strict one year OCI'r, and he sold his last two vehicles at close to 350k miles and 300k miles.

I want to see a poll taken of, lets say 1000 engines that were all ran on extended OCI's. Tear them all down and view the insides. Then I want a poll of 1000 engines ran on short OCI's, all torn down and inspected.

This hasn't been done exactly as you state here, but Amsoil, Mobil 1 etal have done and I'm sure are doing extensive testing on the long OCI paradigm (complete with tear downs, etc). Does not Porsche have a 2 yr 20k mile OCI on some of their vehicles. Are Porsches being dumped off in sorry shape a few years later to their next owners?

Hmmmmm...LOL... That's all I can say to that one.
Pig, I'm sure you are telling the truth, but still, for me, I just can't do it. I've mentioned in other posts that my best friend does extended drains of 6 months on M1 EP. Stuff comes out as black as coal.

Once year seems a bit long, even if the usage is not severe. I would worry about fuel dilution, acid, and such. I would change the oil at least every 4-6 months at a minimum.

Last edited:
I'm approaching 4800 miles on my GMC 6.0L PP OCI and my OLM is at 29% but starting to drop rapidly. I may go 5500 to 6000 this time out. My dealer says 10,000 with Mobil1 & M1 filter but I just can't get there since I was a 3000 mile changer for 35 years.
crazy2.gif

Hmmmmm...LOL... That's all I can say to that one.
Pig, I'm sure you are telling the truth, but still, for me, I just can't do it. I've mentioned in other posts that my best friend does extended drains of 6 months on M1 EP. Stuff comes out as black as coal.

Color may not necessarily indicate that the abilities of the oil is maxed out. What mileage does your friend change out his oil at? 6 months isn't exactly an extended drain if he puts less than 5k miles during that time.

I drive 5k miles per oci and that usually ends up being 6 months +/- a week.

...I'm sure you are telling the truth, but ... Stuff comes out as black as coal.

Bony, I'm sure you're telling the truth, but I'm not sure folks know what "black" is till they've drained Amsoil at 25k. I only for sure did one 25k OCI (filled in 1994, drained in 1995) - other long ones, but I'm not sure I ever made 25k again. All oil looks black when it's draining, but a thin layer of this stuff on the dip stick looked like it had just been pumped out of the ground. That same car is sitting in my drive way right now w/ some black, but not that black M1 HM in the case.

I went 5 years with my truck and only 2 oil samples.
the first sample was at 40,000 miles and oil was still good for continued use.
can we get a 5 year club?

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
...I'm sure you are telling the truth, but ... Stuff comes out as black as coal.

Bony, I'm sure you're telling the truth, but I'm not sure folks know what "black" is till they've drained Amsoil at 25k. I only for sure did one 25k OCI (filled in 1994, drained in 1995) - other long ones, but I'm not sure I ever made 25k again. All oil looks black when it's draining, but a thin layer of this stuff on the dip stick looked like it had just been pumped out of the ground. That same car is sitting in my drive way right now w/ some black, but not that black M1 HM in the case.

if you had used Amsoil from new in the car it wont be as black as you say, Amsoil isnt a 25,000 mile oil, used initially in a car with 150,000 mile dino stained engine.
36.gif

Sorry to hi-jack, but is that the Jim Allen who wrote the "4-Wheeler's Bible"? That is a great book, I refer to it often. You never know who you'll meet on these forums.

I'd bet you would be surprised to find out how many never have their oil changed or change it at most once while they own the car.

I broke out my maintenance log on my Mazdaspeed 6 last night and realized that I last changed the oil in September 07. The catch is that I've only put around 2000 miles on the car since then. The car sees mainly short trips of less than 10 miles and sits in the garage a lot now that I have a bike. Penzoil Platinum 5W-30 used with OEM filters. Anyone think I should dump it? Wait until 12 months? Wait longer than that? I'm interested in views & opinions.

Originally Posted By: blackcherry06
I broke out my maintenance log on my Mazdaspeed 6 last night and realized that I last changed the oil in September 07. The catch is that I've only put around 2000 miles on the car since then. The car sees mainly short trips of less than 10 miles and sits in the garage a lot now that I have a bike. Penzoil Platinum 5W-30 used with OEM filters. Anyone think I should dump it? Wait until 12 months? Wait longer than that? I'm interested in views & opinions.

I would just change it once it gets to 3,000 miles. That's what I used to do in my old Altima that I didn't drive much. It took almost 10 months to put on 3,000 miles once, and I just changed it at the mileage rather than the time.

I just changed out mine with 5 mos and 3k on the oil. It was used in the winter with extensive idling and short trips. The oil smelled like it had some serious fuel diluation. I dont htink My sitaution would allow 1 year oci with such sort trips.

Originally Posted By: blackcherry06

I would change it out on your car, cause your still under warranty. I'm running a 1 yr OCi on my 6s using Amsoil ASM oil and filter. My warranty just ran out end of Feb., so it's OK for me.

Originally Posted By: lazaro
if you had used Amsoil from new in the car it wont be as black as you say, Amsoil isnt a 25,000 mile oil, used initially in a car with 150,000 mile dino stained engine.
36.gif

Amsoil was first dropped in my 323 at about the 50k mark. Perhaps stained by then. Plus I'm not sure a 1988 engine was running as clean as some today. Amsoil filters were used and chged at the 6 mo mark. Perhaps Amsoil could come out of a modern engine at 25k (w/o a bypass filter) and not be utterly black - have to see it to believe it. (I doubt it.)

I gotta get my various UOAs posted - haven't posted any. My mom's Taurus did ~10k miles (one full year) on M1 EP and returned a stellar UOA from Blackstone. Of course she's over 70 yrs old and drives it accordingly.

I'll re-double my efforts to post my UOAs.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Are you going to do an UOA on the oil in the Max? It would be interesting to see the results. I have a '99 Maxima SE that gets a diet of about 6k miles on Pennzoil Pltinum per OCI with Mobil 1, Purolator PureOne, and Fram Extended Guard filters.

I came real close to doing an analysis. I have one old Schaeffer's sample bottle left. I was too lazy to even do that in spite of the fact I've sampled the Max before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back