Finally!!! Castrol makes syntec for older cars!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually found what I'll be running this winter

Texaco Ursa Premium TDX in 5w40 it has a high zinc and phosphorous content (.15xx and .14xx respectively)

anyone have specs on rotella 0w40 or 5w40 they don't seem to advertise

Specs on the Ursa Premium

API Gravity 31.6
Viscosity, Kinematic
cSt at -40°C
cSt at 40°C
cSt at 100°C

Viscosity, Cold Crank,
°C/Poise -30/60
Viscosity Index 173
Flash Point,°C(°F) 230(446)
Pour Point,°C(°F) -42(-44)
Sulfated Ash, wt % 1.6
Base Number, ASTM D 2896 13.2
Phosphorus, wt % 0.145
Zinc, wt % 0.158

Quote:

No good if you don't use 20w50, which I do not. Both my Buicks specify 10w40 for most conditions, not 20w50. That oil is TOO thick IMO.

Are those fair weather cars only?

I've run 20w50 in all my older muscle cars, regardless of engines being original, or one I just built. But don't drive them in the cold.

Quote:

Quote:

No good if you don't use 20w50, which I do not. Both my Buicks specify 10w40 for most conditions, not 20w50. That oil is TOO thick IMO.

Are those fair weather cars only?

I've run 20w50 in all my older muscle cars, regardless of engines being original, or one I just built. But don't drive them in the cold.

I guess I should say that whatever works for someone is good. Personally, I have had issues with 20w50. The oil pressure takes to long to build and the engine is much more noisy at start up with 20w50 in my engines. I switched to 10w40 to stop this. I feel comfortable with the lighter weight. They are fair weather cars only but will see some temps of 40-50 degrees in early spring and late fall here in Ohio, along with temps of 80-95 degrees in the summer cruising months.

Any number of the 5w40 DEO oils that are spec'd for diesel only should be the cat's meow in an older flat tappet engine that sees winter use.

They typically have a good shot of phos and zinc and are not rated for gas engines because of that.

At least that's what I have read and gleaned from reading and some personal experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back