Finally a Western Digital drive failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJC

My long string of consistent Western Digital drive luck ended with an early death of a lightly used WD 1TB Blue Caviar (WD10EALS-00Z8A0). WD Diagnostics wouldn't run and also exhibiting the click of death.

But as expected they are prompt with their RMA and are sending a Black caviar WD1001FALS-00Y6A0 instead of blue. My Black caviar 640GB has been excellent.

I have a 500gb black caviar, going strong after 1.5 years. I switched to WD after having several different Seagate hard drives fail on me prematurely, no regrets so far.

I love my WD6400AAKS, over 21k hours on this drive, and 25k on another drive I use in another system. It's an excellent drive. Fast, quiet. It runs a little warm, but it rarely gets over 33 celsius.

I have a 500GB Samsung Spinpoint 5400RPM drive that's pretty good as well, runs silent, and cool, and it isn't much slower than most 7200RPM drives of the time.

The old Seagates are good. I have a 7200.8 with over 45000 hours. The 7200.10 in my router is knocking on 20000.
The new ones are trash.
I have 750GB WD Black in my Moms computer. Seems good so far. I was going to get RE3s for my RAID array, but got Samsung F3Rs instead. Big price difference; more so after you take into account I was buying 4 at the same time.
But I heard Samsung is/was selling its HDD division to Seagate so that idea may be out the window in the future.

Last edited:
Years and years ago, like in 1992, i had a huge number of failures on WD drives. Since then, i've been WD drive failure free.

Nothing beats the failure rate of Maxtor... I am pretty sure they mostly didn't work at all.

I've had 1 WD fail, it was a first generation Raptor.
No Seagate fails, and multiple Maxtor. Thank god they are gone!

I have a 250 GB WD that has been perfect over the past 4 or so years. Of course I hardly use it, guess I should work on that tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
But I heard Samsung is/was selling its HDD division to Seagate so that idea may be out the window in the future.

Samsung is selling to Seagate.
Hitachi is selling to WD.

There will only be 2 real brands very soon, 3 if you consider Toshiba/Fujitsu for 2.5" only.

Last edited:
Well, guess Ill be going WD. Seagate cant even send me Warranty replacement drives that work for the 5 7200.11s I have. Out of the 5 I only have 1 of the original "new" drives. The other 4 are green label warranty refirbs. Ive probably RMA'd those 4 at least twice over and one of the ones from the latest RMA set croaked with less than 2k hours and another one of the ones that tested good when I pulled it out my RAID just failed hard as well. It wont even read its firmware off the disk.
At this point Im tired of paying for the shipping to Seagate just to get more junk drives. Ill probably use them as target practice.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Nothing beats the failure rate of Maxtor... I am pretty sure they mostly didn't work at all.

I've had 1 WD fail, it was a first generation Raptor.
No Seagate fails, and multiple Maxtor. Thank god they are gone!

Fujitsu 40GB drives. Those things had like a 100% failure rate, LMAO!

I have had 4 Seagate FreeAgent Go 80GB drives fail. Every single one I replaced under warranty and it failed. They finally sent me a 160GB version and thus far it's been fine, but I rarely use it.

I had a maxtor 160GB 3.5" drive fail a while back, that played music, it was quite humorous actually.

The only WD failure I've had was on my last HP desktop. But that could be the controller on the MB as it still see's it but can't do anything with it. No irregular sounds either. I've seen alot of failures among the other brands though. I do remember Fujitsu 40G at the college I worked out we actually went through and replaced all of them with WD's.

Well, guess Ill be going WD. Seagate cant even send me Warranty replacement drives that work for the 5 7200.11s I have. Out of the 5 I only have 1 of the original "new" drives.

The entire 7200.11 line has design problem that you cannot fix in production.

Had a 1999 era WD 60GB fail after ~5 years and they sent me a new/refurb one. Put a "cheap" charge on my credit card (as they were somewhat obsolete-- they accounted for depreciation) then refunded it when my old one got back in.

Best thing is the drive just slowed down, so I could rescue my data. Their diagnostic program said "bad drive" and that was enough for them!

Could not have gone smoother or with any better customer service.

Well, all brands have fair share of lemons. However for new drive, the most lemons I got is from Western Digital Green series, this drive will KO after 1 month use of running torrent.
Seagate runs slightly better, but still fail within few months.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Well, guess Ill be going WD. Seagate cant even send me Warranty replacement drives that work for the 5 7200.11s I have. Out of the 5 I only have 1 of the original "new" drives.

The entire 7200.11 line has design problem that you cannot fix in production.

So you would think they would quit trying to refirb them and send out .12s as warranty replacements.

I have a pair of WD Green 2TB drives for backup purposes. Seem to be running good so far.

Last edited:
I've never had a WD drive fail on my, but I wouldn't say that I've used a ton of them either. I have a new 1 TB Caviar Blue in my desktop and it's much much faster than the previous Seagate Baracuda 7200.8 that was in there. Windows 7 boot time has been cut in half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back