Finally a Western Digital drive failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NJC
My long string of consistent Western Digital drive luck ended with an early death of a lightly used WD 1TB Blue Caviar (WD10EALS-00Z8A0).

I installed HD Tune (pro trial version) and Power On time was only 2,700hrs.
frown.gif

THe WD400BB drives I have at work seem bullet proof. HD Tune reported 37,000 hrs Power On time on one of the machine ... certainly the slower 5400rpm would help longevity.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I have had 4 Seagate FreeAgent Go 80GB drives fail. Every single one I replaced under warranty and it failed.

One would think a company would do backflips to ensure their warranty products are solid and will last. Already the customer is annoyed having to RMA and the confidence is shaken.

Originally Posted By: NJC
Originally Posted By: Nick R
I have had 4 Seagate FreeAgent Go 80GB drives fail. Every single one I replaced under warranty and it failed.

One would think a company would do backflips to ensure their warranty products are solid and will last. Already the customer is annoyed having to RMA and the confidence is shaken.

No no you misunderstand. I started out with one. It died, I RMA'ed it. That one died, RMA again. And again. 4 times in total. Like I said, they finally sent me a 160GB version that's been fine so far. But I spent more on shipping the darn things out than I did when I purchased it new. I'll never buy another seagate drive, again.

It's a pity most desktops come with Seagate drives in them, because I have to sell them to people.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Yeah, their warranty replacement products are even worse than their new products, if that is at all possible.

Yeah, blows my mind. Love the green "refurb" label.

Last two WD RMA's I got were brand new drives, of a newer series.

Sent in some RE2's, got back two brand new RE3's.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Yeah, their warranty replacement products are even worse than their new products, if that is at all possible.

Yeah, blows my mind. Love the green "refurb" label.

Last two WD RMA's I got were brand new drives, of a newer series.

Sent in some RE2's, got back two brand new RE3's.

Yeah, if I had money, I would keep sending them drives whenever they die. Use them in non-critical apps 24/7.
Mine still have warranty until January 2013, IIRC. Drive up their warranty costs.

I have had dozens of hard drives over the years...some run 24/7 for over 7 years and I've only had one hard drive die on me and it was an 80GB Samsung back in 2003 which died after 2 1/2 years....click of death.

I've gone through plenty of Maxtors, Western Digitals and Seagates without any failures.

My favorites were the 7200.7 160GB Seagates....I have two which have been running for 7+ years without a single hiccup.

I still have a few Maxtor Diamondmax in 80gb and 300gb hanging around...they still work also. I probably have 20 hard drives sitting in my closet...yeah I find it difficult to throw things away.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMFan
My favorites were the 7200.7 160GB Seagates....I have two which have been running for 7+ years without a single hiccup.

It is still running in my computer as well, made in 2004.

I've had only 1 WD drive fail out of the countless ones I've used myself or in server/personal builds for other people. I always preferred Seagates (before the Maxtor buyout) and always avoided Maxtor.

My 1 WD RMA experience was excellent, turn around time was minimal(5 days) and they gave me a 20% off purchase option(10 years old still haven't used it) for my next drive.

I had so many WD drives fail back in the 90s that I developed an aversion to them. Although I did have a work computer that had one in it from around 2003 or so that worked fine for 4 years.

With all the consolidation, I may not have a choice next time around. I guess we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back