Finally, a simple car that can be easily repaired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check it out. Great specs. Simple. Air cooled, no complicated cooling system to maintain. An amazing brake system that used a brake lining that can be removed and a new one re-inserted without special knowledge or tools. Everything accessible. No dismantling half the car to get at something. You want simple. You want the ultimate daily driver. Here it is.

Link

One of my cousins actually owns one of these. He bought it when he and his wife first married back in 1953. He drove it for years and finally parked it in his barn behind his house. It has sat there since I was a little boy. When I was little and we would go to visit him, I would sneak into the barn, sit in this car, and pretend to drive. Over the years, I've offered to buy it from him a number of times, but he will not sell it.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
One of my cousins actually owns one of these. He bought it when he and his wife first married back in 1953. He drove it for years and finally parked it in his barn behind his house. It has sat there since I was a little boy. When I was little and we would go to visit him, I would sneak into the barn, sit in this car, and pretend to drive. Over the years, I've offered to buy it from him a number of times, but he will not sell it.

Is it the two cylinder or four?

The early fours had a sheet metal block, the later ones were cast.
The fours were also water cooled.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Sheet metal block?

A block fabricated out of sheet steel. This was done by Crosley to save cost and weight. Years later the inventor/designer found that the improved cooling of the combustion chamber improved the emission numbers for the exhaust. GM played with the idea in the 70s but dropped the idea. Crosley changed to cast in early 49.
A shaft driven cam for lower up keep.
Direct actuated valves to eliminate rockers and save moving parts.

Copper brazed cast pieces .... the engine was called the Cobra and the acronym spelled out the manufacturing method .
The cars were mechanical horrors with useless mechanical brakes but the engines survived as power plants in the DEW line radar system in the far north of Canada .

Not to thread-jack, but I got my Motorcycle Consumer News last night and the cover story is Royal Enfield Continental GT vs Yamaha SR 400. Two blasts from the past, being made today.

I owned a 1950 Crosley Wagon(cast iron block vs. the earlier welded version)and a Crosley Hot Shot. Easy to fix and fun to drive. Ed

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Over 200 pounds ...

Today that's most Americans

That's exactly what went through my mind reading that ad! I'm 6'2" and weigh a hair over 200lbs.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Those enclosed drive lines on the Fords were a pita to work on.

I broke several trannys in my 46 Ford.
To change them it was pull the motor or the rear end.
After 2 or 3 times just had break the bolts loose and run them out with my fingers.
I went removing the rear way.

Neat. This is why I loved my VW Bugs, sheer simplicity and so dependable with decent performance.

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy

Is it the two cylinder or four?

I think it was the four but I'm not sure. I actually need to go see him this coming Monday about some family business so I'll try to take a look, (I'm bigger now so it's hard to sneak into his barn).

What I remember as a child is that it had a minty green paint job with a canvas roof, tiny little tires and a tiny propeller on the front.

The early fours had a sheet metal block, the later ones were cast.
The fours were also water cooled.

I think it was the four but I'm not sure. I actually need to go see him this coming Monday about some family business so I'll try to take a look, (I'm bigger now so it's hard to sneak into his barn).

What I remember as a child is that it had a minty green paint job with a canvas roof, tiny little tires and a tiny propeller on the front.

Originally Posted By: paul246
Neat. This is why I loved my VW Bugs, sheer simplicity and so dependable with decent performance.

So true.

I had never seen an air cooled VW close up, until about 6 years ago. It was a microbus, and the guy showed me how he was able to replace a clutch when he was stuck on the side of the road.

Before that, I thought the Ford F100 was the simplest vehicle to repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back