Finally, a good use for MoS2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to oil the water pump in my central heating system. I oiled it in 2006, and then I completely forgot, until...

2 days ago, my wife says "what is that squealing noise"
we hunted around, finally tracked it down to the pump: oh no!! I forgot to oil it for 3 years!!! so first i oiled the 3 points with 10w30. that quieted it for a while. next day started squealing again. more 10w30 added. overfilled bearings leaking oil on floor. still squealing, so i opened a can of MolySlip MoS2 suspension, took a 5 cc. syringe, and forced the whole contents down the three oiling ports, especially the main bearing port.

lo, and behold... squealing gone now, for 2 days, bearings sound just like normal, everything works great. MoS2 must have repaired the abraded metal surface, or done something good.
at least it saved me an expensive repair job.

oil the water pump in a heating system? never heard of it. I'm guessing this is not a heat pump as those wouldn't work so well in Canada.

I totally neglect most systems in my home, in the 7 years I have lived in the house that I bought new I have drained the hot water heater once. Thats it for home maintenance.

God I love new homes with vinyl siding.

On the other hand I'm constantly draining brake fluid, differential fluid, motor oil, tranny oil, changing pcv's, air filters, checking air pressure, changing serpintine belts etc. for my vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back