FInally, a cell phone for the BITOG crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife could use that! She kills a phone about every six months.

Current phone has a cracked display but still works. Two have been killed in the wash. One she dropped in the creek. Daughter ran over one.

The Sonim, a Motorola, and a Verizon phone are evaluated for survivability in the latest issue of Popular Mechanics. My work phone is milspec, too. It can take a beating.

A cell phone that can double as a hammer - now that emergency tool kit can be that much smaller
smirk2.gif

Wifey's nokia 5110 was run over by a car and still worked. Just smooshed the LCD so you couldn't read it.

I've had a motorola SLVR for some two or three years now and I've put it through all kinds of mess. It's been dropped in water, beer, a toilet (yuk), it's been abused and misused. It's seen temperatures below freezing and in excess of 150F. I've hammered stuff with it and used it to hold the door open. It's fallen from some great heights. I've even thrown it across the room into a brick wall. Still, it retains 100% of it's functionality and still has a great amount of battery life left in the original battery. I'd buy another one if I could get it for a good price.

I had one, too. But...mine fell flat on its front onto parking lot pavement and the screen shattered. There was another layr underneath but it was partially unreadable. I had to buy a Go Phone and pop my SIM card into it and use for several months until it was upgrade time again.

Quote:
“Aside from the blue collar workers, there’s also the category of weekend warriors who may want these phones to project an uber-macho image,” says Wood

Originally Posted By: Pablo
My wife could use that! She kills a phone about every six months.

Current phone has a cracked display but still works. Two have been killed in the wash. One she dropped in the creek. Daughter ran over one.

Just go on ebay and buy a bunch of Nokia 5190, they are the most rugged phone I've ever come across, for a very very low price (almost free nowadays). Then put it in a plastic bag and vacuum seal it, vola, you get youself a DIY rugged phone.

NOKIA-5190.jpg

Hey, for those V8 SUV lovers out there, bigger is better and there is no replacement for body mass in a collision. This body mass would certainly sustain a lot more damages.

Last edited:
Quote:
At least 1 percent to 1.5 percent of the billion or so cellphones worldwide ends up in the hands of blue collar workers, estimates Sonim. That means millions of phones for users that don’t care about popular cellphone design trends such as thinness, touchscreen or video camera.

I think this estimate is very low ..or is it that there are so many senseless non-workers in the survey (students/kids/whomever)? I would think it closer to 10-20%. Everyone has a cellphone.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
At least 1 percent to 1.5 percent of the billion or so cellphones worldwide ends up in the hands of blue collar workers, estimates Sonim. That means millions of phones for users that don’t care about popular cellphone design trends such as thinness, touchscreen or video camera.

I think this estimate is very low ..or is it that there are so many senseless non-workers in the survey (students/kids/whomever)? I would think it closer to 10-20%. Everyone has a cellphone.

I think they means using it actively at the job site, as people who use it after work isn't considered.

Probably so, but that wouldn't alter the desire for a "non-dainty" cell phone. The market has pretty much catered to more fragile offerings.

I've never broken a cell phone, neither has my wife. but we have T-Mobile prepaid service. we only use them occasionally

I've killed off numerous cells, so many, that I have a backup for when I kill the current main one.
grin2.gif

On my last bus charter for a kid's trip to the zoo, only four out of the kids (on a bus of thirty-some) DIDN'T have a cell. I asked a few of them if they were just borrowing their parents' phones - they all looked at me funny and said no, the phones were all theirs!
crazy2.gif

The old 5190s are NOT compatible with AT&T or T-Mobile's 850MHz GSM network, and AT&T is trying to push people onto their HSDPA 3G network.

But they are tough phones. RAZRs and Verizon's LGs are a joke, though.

Heck, the most durable phones IMO are the old Motorola MicroTAC bricks. This was way before Motorola sold out to Verizon and the cable companies(Comcast, Cox, Time Warner)- back when they made all their gear in America.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
i am planning on swearing off my mobile forever soon.

Already have.. sure is nice to drive somewhere or go shopping and not have anyone call.

Originally Posted By: nthach
The old 5190s are NOT compatible with AT&T or T-Mobile's 850MHz GSM network, and AT&T is trying to push people onto their HSDPA 3G network.

But they are tough phones. RAZRs and Verizon's LGs are a joke, though.

Heck, the most durable phones IMO are the old Motorola MicroTAC bricks. This was way before Motorola sold out to Verizon and the cable companies(Comcast, Cox, Time Warner)- back when they made all their gear in America.

And back when all their gear weighed 50lbs. But yeah, they were good phones if you were near enough to a tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back